Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Square D MCB to RCBO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Marcus Vaughan

Marcus Vaughan Regular EF Member

upload_2018-11-8_19-15-35.png upload_2018-11-8_19-16-4.png

Hi All,

I have just been to to view a job on my way home. The customer is asking for a new double socket immediately below the consumer unit (that's convenient!).

It's an old Square D board without an RCD in sight.

I guess it would be very easy to install an RCD socket outlet - spurring from either the kitchen ring or 'main ring' one way or the other.

But I was thinking - probably for the same price - I could swap out the MCB for an RCBO, though it would be second hand, but with the obvious benefit of providing additional protection for an entire socket circuit.

I thought of suggesting a board change - but that seems a bit OTT when a customer on a budget only wants an additional socket.

Question is then - what would you do?

Perhaps its not viable anyway - the MCB's are marked up as Dom, eg Dom32B6 - so am searching the web to see if a replacement RCBO even exists (by Square D/Schneider)...........

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Spur from CU, surface trunking, RCD socket ......... only if earthing and bonding in place

As of the 1st Jan 2019 ............... these issues will get far , far more difficult..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Marcus Vaughan

Thankyou.:)

4. ipf

ipf Forum Mentor

Agree with that. Difficult to find anything suitable, RCBO wise.
    I like that 'useful' little drawing on the lid, by the way.
    If it keeps tripping, keep resetting, maybe?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

You can get RCBO's for that board. Like here. I'm not sure if Schneider make new ones for it, not familiar with that range, usually just see the older QOE (eyewatering prices for RCBO's) and the KQE stuff here.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Murdoch

MK seem to fit nicely .............:)

7. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

I think this replaced the DOM...Easy 9 by Schneider
    BE2129E6-7432-4D0E-8E1D-1866D2FDB82B.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marcus Vaughan

Good spot that.

To prove I am doing my homework though - I found this https://www.schneider-electric.com/resources/sites/SCHNEIDER_ELECTRIC/content/live/FAQS/175000/FA175169/en_US/Easy9_Domae conversion.pdf

from Schneider.

which suggests to me that a new easy 9 RCBO will fit straight in?

Kev 1 - we must have typing at the same time!
    I think you are right though.

Attached Files:

9. Marcus Vaughan

I didn't take the cover off - but at least the cover itself hasn't been butchered. That's the third CU I've seen today with mixed MCBs.

10. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

Beware the old KQE RCBO and DOM are made opposite to each other....in terms of fitting to the bus bar.
    F4CFD577-5AFD-4E53-89B7-3EC4BE7BF61D.jpeg
    It is possible to remove the clip on the KQE type to give a normal screw terminal (we often did it when fitting into old Merlin Gerin boards) however the new Schneider type you can’t remove the clip as they’re glued in place!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Murdoch

Its extremely common .........

12. ChrisElectrical88

ChrisElectrical88 Forum Mentor

Drill the glue out and the screw is just behind it. Did it almost every week at one of my last companys. Didnt effect the RCBO at all.

• Useful Useful x 2
  13. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

That consumer unit is not that old Domae was aimed at the domestic market to replace the Quickline II.

14. Marcus Vaughan

That’s interesting. I have worked on a quick line boards - so these came after...

I think I’ll dead test one of those ring finals, and if all OK, fit an easy9 RCBO and incorporate the new socket into the ring. I’d have a warm glowy feeling if I left a whole circuit RCD protected. I don’t think the materials would cost significantly more anyway.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    don't forget that the main switch is arse about face.