Discuss Square head bolt - correct term in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I just had a peep at a listing from Nettlefolds,who were one of our longest standing engineering manufacturers of fixings.

Although looking identical,they list "Carriage Bolts" and "Cup Square Bolts" as different items.

Carriage Bolts,are listed up to 7/16" diameter and 16" long,and have no B.S.S number.

Cup Square Bolts,are listed up to 1 1/2" diameter and 12" long (additional lengths on request) and have a B.S.S number for both bolts and nuts,that is,an engineering specification in terms of strength and conformity,for use in engineering applications.

Anybody who has any questions regarding their selection of moulders brads,clyde dog eared steel brobs,or wrought iron holdfasts...just send me a telegram :)

(I have the telegraph and cable order code documents,which are fascinating...£40 in 1886,was coded "ketchup" ;) seems a long way from Skyping me pal in New Zealand,on an S9...)

I thought they were called M6 roofing bolts.
Usually roofing bolts don't have a square shank, but rather have slots on the dome head so a tool can be used to stop them turning rather than relying on the square shank pulling into the timber. This said I have heard, the terms coach, carriage, roofing, dome head... for all sorts of similar bolts and screws.
I guess its probably down to what ever is the most common traditional term local to your area.

here you go. square heads. :

images

almost went for the security screws, the ones that will only turn clockwise in but cam out if an attempt is made to remove,

Haha Tel!
my favourite screws, those!

Many deacades ago the square socket screws were quite common in boatyards...those producing bespoke yachts, I mean.
Had to make sure the "slots" were tightened up just right, so they were "all square"!
Naturally, the modern square drivers are not a perfect fit...

Reply to Square head bolt - correct term in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net