Discuss Stables with horses supply, power & lighting etc.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, I have never had to look into a job like this before but I have had an enquiry from a customer who is having a supply brought from the road to edge of his fields / property by the dno and he has to supply cabinet etc.. at a great cost for the mains !

I have to look at a run of around 45 mtrs of s.w.a in a trench to stables, into a small consumer unit at one end of stables where horses will not be but just a storage area. Couple of sockets there adjacent to board, and all light switches there too out the way. They want lighting above the two stables where horses are resident and also floods front and rear outside plus a small sub out to another shed / tack room across the yard around 24 mtrs away. I am thinking a lot of armoured plus maybe a bit of conduit in stables to lights high level etc.. and rcbo cover but would 30mA be alright with livestock ?

Also if board was TT'd with a rod outside away from stables by around 3 mtrs or more is that likely something you would go for ? Only issue I can see is that all around are other fenced fields that have electric fencing so is that likely an issue with the rod and fence earthing rods etc.. ?? never done something like this before.

Also what protection / isolation device at start of mains to the main board?
A time delayed RCD S type at 100mA or similar as thinking just a switch fuse wont be good enough.

Thanks for any experienced thoughts.

The switches and socket outlets etc.. would all be in a separate area closed off from horses. You wouldn't believe the state of it at the moment ! Got some pics, flexes hanging next to horses faces all run from a petrol genny. If it's as horrendously difficult as it seems, I may just forget the job to be honest.

Hi - SS, a few late night thoughts ... I suggest a 100mA S and fuse at the cutout end and a 30mA one up front in the remote board. The rod is important, perhaps use stacked 15mm by 1200mm. I have used two sets indendantly wired as part of reliability etc. Cabling up high, gal conduit. Get them to agree to regular inspection checks cause it will get knocked about.

Hi - SS, a few late night thoughts ... I suggest a 100mA S and fuse at the cutout end and a 30mA one up front in the remote board. The rod is important, perhaps use stacked 15mm by 1200mm. I have used two sets indendantly wired as part of reliability etc. Cabling up high, gal conduit. Get them to agree to regular inspection checks cause it will get knocked about.
Thanks chaps, I'm thinking it's beyond me, don't want any horror stories on me. Never as I said done anything like this and it's a bit of a learning curve that I wouldn't want to go wrong.

Thanks chaps, I'm thinking it's beyond me, don't want any horror stories on me. Never as I said done anything like this and it's a bit of a learning curve that I wouldn't want to go wrong
did one many moons a go
the dumb a** owners tried to put normal switches with the horses in the stable had to put the switches out side .

Dont like this set up. Id prefer switchfuse at DNO & isolate cpc @ stables db, youre importing an earth over 45M bound to cause some PD between true earth and imported earth.
Earth rod at rear of stables with 30mA rcd main switch would be a better set up imo

Dont like this set up. Id prefer switchfuse at DNO & isolate cpc @ stables db, youre importing an earth over 45M bound to cause some PD between true earth and imported earth.
Earth rod at rear of stables with 30mA rcd main switch would be a better set up imo

How far to put rod in away from stables though is my concern 3 mtrs plus and there are electric fenced areas, would they cause an issue as could probably run direct to rear of stables themselves and rod a good 10 mtrs plus away from any elec fence equipment too.

Hi bud,there are 20 questions more really,but,i wouldn't think of going all protective on the size/type of your RCD,standard rules apply.

I would put the effort on separation rather than ADS:)

Place all cabling in steel conduit or similar,do not have accessories,such as switches,ANYWHERE horses can be/reach,whether metal or not. A decent 14HH can bite the front clean off a single metalclad...seen it.

There are specs for animals,especially horses,regarding proximity to TT rod positions - just read up,and pick your spot.

10mA for 5mS would not mean neddy would make the show.

I feel your pain,as after dealing with the DNO,intractable as they can be,your customers will now want to spend any money they have left,on saddles,bits and hoof-oil ;)

Reply to Stables with horses supply, power & lighting etc.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net