Discuss Staircase accent lighting advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ferg

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I've just been asked to have a look at some staircase lighting and TBH I'm being lazy and asking on here to save hours of looking at products I've never used.

It's for the only access to a busy Cafe / restaurant.

It will get wet from mopping and or the weather we get, dripping off boots and clothes etc.

The only profile for LED tape I have any experience of is too flimsy for the amount of foot traffic and cleaning etc. The profile cover would last about a week.

I've been asked to come up with a a couple or three different options.

I'm open to any and all suggestions as frankly mine so far are shyte. :D

Many thanks in advance guys.

Thanks Tel.
It's timber but without access to the rear of it.
Walls are plasterboard on a timber frame.

how about IP rated decking lights? fish cables behind board.

On the stringer?

Good plan.
You could do the same with plinth lights (pin lights) as an alternative visual effect.

If you got LED aluminium profile with the lid flush with the profile then it may last a month or more! if you ran it down the top of the stringer, if space is available.

If there is a lip to each tread then you could tuck strip under the lip or with 9mm corner profile, but the wiring would be inconvenient.

Deck lighting in the walls at each (every other, every third) step could also be done.

You can get dedicated stair nosing for LED tape which is considerably more robust than the standard extrusion.
Otherwise you could fit LED tape in the handrail if there is one:
accent-handrail-lighting.jpg

or eyelid lights on the walls.

66924D09-79FD-45B4-8184-E7930D6AFD37.jpeg I installed these a few months ago. Although it was a bit easier as the stairs weren’t in yet. So I ran a router along the back of the stringer for the cable to sit in. Then left a bit of flex hanging out underneath to plug the transformer in.
Made everything much easier.

Reply to Staircase accent lighting advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net