Discuss Stand alone RCD's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Could anyone give me a link to where I can buy a stand alone RCD? I have looked and looked and just find a lot of threads on the subject but cannot find anywhere that sells them. I could just fit an enclosure/din rail but I'd just like to see these stand alone RCD's and make a choice..

In this case it will be to protect lights on an old re-wirable CU as the customer wants some outside lights and prefers not to upgrade the CU. I could just use a RCD FCU, but at some point I know I'm going to come across the same situation for a ring main which I may not be able to find an RCBO for.

Cheers all..

Last edited:
I new you'd be first to reply Tel :smiley2:, thanks..

Is that an enclosure with Din rail? Where did you find it?

Cheers.

Could anyone give me a link to where I can buy a stand alone RCD? I have looked and looked and just find a lot of threads on the subject but cannot find anywhere that sells them. I could just fit an enclosure/din rail but I'd just like to see these stand alone RCD's and make a choice..

In this case it will be to protect lights on an old re-wirable CU as the customer wants some outside lights and prefers not to upgrade the CU so I could just use a RCD FCU, but at some point I know I'm going to come across the same situation for a ring main which I may not be able to find an RCBO for.

Cheers all..

Hi Happyhippydad , I will stand to be corrected but I can not think of ever buying a " stand alone RCD " .
Just buy a enclosure with a din rail , or even a separate piece of din rail and cut it down to fit if needed and then fit an appropriate RCD for the task .

Edit ; Dam I type at the speed of a drunk slug !

I new you'd be first to reply Tel :smiley2:, thanks..

Is that an enclosure with Din rail? Where did you find it?

Cheers.

it's wylex. screwfix and most wholesalers. couple of quid, and it's din rail. i'd not use the knockouts, though, drill separate holes for each cable entry. ( and before anyone mentions eddy currents, it's plastic).

you've been robbed. i bought 6 from electric center for about £12 inc. VAT.

Denmans (all about electrics.co.uk) also do an extra height one (for 1.79) that can be useful for RCBOs or just extra wiring space.

Thanks Richard, I think the extra space for the RCBO is perfect as thats what I would be putting in.

Denmans (all about electrics.co.uk) also do an extra height one (for 1.79) that can be useful for RCBOs or just extra wiring space.

Hi Richard,
I've been looking (online) at the enclosures for a single rcbo but theres no mention of whether they include a Din rail. Just wondered if you (or anyone else) could clarify?

It doesn't look like they do, but that doesn't make sense as they look designed for an MCB/RCBO?

Just buy a length of Din rail as well then .
I think we pay just over £2 a length , so it shouldn't break the bank . And it is always handy to mount in the stores or even the back of the van just to keep all of the spare trips / contactors and relays in one easy to reference place !

In this case it will be to protect lights on an old re-wirable CU as the customer wants some outside lights and prefers not to upgrade the CU. I could just use a RCD FCU, but at some point I know I'm going to come across the same situation for a ring main which I may not be able to find an RCBO for.

Cheers all..

Use that RCD FCU for now. If you do find yourself in that situation with the RING FINAL not ring main, tell them they must upgrade their board or REFUSE to do the work. Simples.

Reply to Stand alone RCD's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net