Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Standard Tariff vs Economy 7 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. sjm

sjm Guest

Quick question guys.

Am I right in thinking that a normal household with oil central heating, so no storage heaters, would be better off on a standard electricity tariff as opposed to an economy 7 tariff.

Thanks in advance.
    Steve.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
  2. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

Yes.......

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    unless, as i have seen a couple of occasions, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, immersion heater--all on timers to come on at 1.00a.m.

4. PC Electrics

PC Electrics Guest

Most people in the villages round here who have oil fired ch have a large(ish) tank and side mounted immersions running on an E7 tarriff. It is much cheaper to heat the water by E7 than oil. Where they have an indirect tank they still use E7 for water and only use the oil if the immersion fails.

They then make best use of the E7 by putting machines on at night.

5. grimysparks80

grimysparks80 Electrician's Arms

does anyone know the difference in the daytime tarriff between the two?

6. i=p/u

i=p/u Electrician's Arms

i was told if you take the cheap er night time option the day time rate goes up, now i dont know how true this is

7. grimysparks80

I always assumed the day rate on E7 would be a bit higher than the satndard tarriff.

8. sjm

sjm Guest

Apparently some suppliers may charge up to double the standard unit rate for peak time units on E7 tariff.

9. grimysparks80

thats shocking. so all the poor sods who think theyre saving money may be losing out.

10. sjm

sjm Guest

It depends on how much off peak electricity you use. As telectrix and PC electrics say, if you use washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and immersion during the off peak period, and have the right supplier, you should just about save money.

11. isitintheregs

isitintheregs Electrician's Arms

My inlaws have oil heating and an economy seven meter. They switch the oil boiler off in the summer and use an immersion during the summer. having done the sums they think it's worth it.

12. GT1

GT1 Guest

You have to use a large proportion of your demand on the night rate to make it worthwhile.
    And yes, the day rate is heavily loaded.
    That's why no one is doing E7 on new builds.
    It was a good idea. But electricity supply companies still want their pound of flesh..!