Discuss Standard Tariff vs Economy 7 in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sjm

Quick question guys.

Am I right in thinking that a normal household with oil central heating, so no storage heaters, would be better off on a standard electricity tariff as opposed to an economy 7 tariff.

Thanks in advance.
Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
unless, as i have seen a couple of occasions, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, immersion heater--all on timers to come on at 1.00a.m.

Most people in the villages round here who have oil fired ch have a large(ish) tank and side mounted immersions running on an E7 tarriff. It is much cheaper to heat the water by E7 than oil. Where they have an indirect tank they still use E7 for water and only use the oil if the immersion fails.

They then make best use of the E7 by putting machines on at night.

It depends on how much off peak electricity you use. As telectrix and PC electrics say, if you use washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and immersion during the off peak period, and have the right supplier, you should just about save money.

You have to use a large proportion of your demand on the night rate to make it worthwhile.
And yes, the day rate is heavily loaded.
That's why no one is doing E7 on new builds.
It was a good idea. But electricity supply companies still want their pound of flesh..!

Reply to Standard Tariff vs Economy 7 in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am asking on behalf of a friend who has an outbuilding that he uses as an art studio, the building is fully insulated and is currently heated by...
Replies
Views
I've a 3 phase storage heater currently wired to the main fuse box in an office I have. The heater has 2 supplies/isolators, 1 for charging at...
Replies
Views
Good day readers, if any,I am an old sparky, a very old sparky. I can remember old Faraday giving us lectures Wednesday evenings at evening...
Replies
Views
Long story short im on economy 7 tariff but have 2 types of heaters in my house 1 convector fused socket, 3 storage heaters not fused sockets. So...
Replies
Views
if a house has economy 7, off peak board and on peak board. and where the meter only energizes the off peak board during the night for the storage...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock