Discuss Starting car relay issue??? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Guys,

Makes for interesting reading... I personally (being a supergeek from the oldschool) would overhaul all the electrics on such a good car!

Wallet permitting, I would ensure the starter motor is genuine Mitsubishi, the solenoid, relays and battery (or at least for the battery what Mitsubishi recommend)... But I wouldnt trust "mates" to know the exact specs of such items, I would go direct to the manufacturer, giving them precise details of your model.

This caught my eye:

Well your relay does not seem to be holding the load for some reason , probably related to supply or earth.

1. If wiring has been tampered with - this could cause voltage supply issue.

2. Since your car has been in use since 2003 (thats about 15 years) the Earth connector may need a good clean. Both the connector and metal it attaches to should be bright. Even though your readings appear to be "normal", readings can be misleading. One failing part in the chain can lead to incorrect supply voltage.

3. Not sure why you need your battery on "trickle charge"? A well-made battery will be charged correctly by the alternator (if the belt has been fitted with the correct adjustment) during normal driving conditions.

Kind Regards NB

@nbwriter Yes you are correct, he does say the car only comes out on nice days , that would not be a lot up here lol., so would explain the trickle charge.
Your other points are valid too , old wiring does tend to just disintegrate from within , and the earths don't.
If the inhibitor has not been traced properly before removal this could cause problems too , as you know fun and games following people.

when you get it started do you have access to a thermal imaging camera? this can point out hot spots in the wiring and terminal connections. as old as the car is its a good bet you may have some corrosion inhibiting the current a bit.
as NB stated the terminals should be clean and bright.
also look for loose connections! they may look tight but if you can move them at all they are too loose.

Hi Guys,

From my experience of working on (older) cars, I suspect gnuuser is on the right track:

Corrosion on terminals (will cause voltage disruption) - I would change them all out! Loose connections is the other culprit. I would systematically ensure all are tight and bright right through the wiring system.

Kind Regards NB :rocket:

Sorry I haven't posted sooner!, well basically I couldn't find the issue so I called a auto electrician out, he said I had lost one of the power sources to the relay so he just added a new power source, we could of looked for the problem but this could of took hours and cost me more money, he said the car worked on the bigger relay as it rerouted how the relay worked , thanks to everyone that posted trying to help! I think I'm going to give the car a well deserved wash now!

Reply to Starting car relay issue??? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock