Discuss Starting Second Year in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DanielRafferty98

Just started my second year as an apprentice spark, was just wondering what your guys thoughts are on this, at college I do kinda struggle with the electrical science part of the course, I have the basics such as cable calf and ohms law knowledge but things such as bridge rectifiers and calculating capacitators and wavelengths and stuff I find really difficult, on the other hand doing my projects and writing my reports I'm excellent at, on site I'm worried that I do not know enough, I always compare myself to others, I can do the basics such as offsets in conduit, fitting out and connecting up light fittings in schools and have used pretty much every power tool, I have never been off a day since I started and are always early to the job even though I can't drive and use the train, where do you think I should be at this stage guys.

Sounds to me like you are doing fine. First couple of years on an apprenticeship are the most difficult as you find your feet and gain confidence. College - many students find the science & maths a challenge. Stick in and you'll get through it. Don't be frightened to ask for help/explanation of elements you are struggling with; put in time away from college on the stuff you find the hardest.
The very fact that your assessing your own progress is evidence that you are taking the learning process seriously.
If you are getting a range of experience on site that's good too; you'll get to do more on your own as things progress.
Good luck!

I suspect there is nothing new about your struggling with these new concepts. I remember doing the same things with this guy in the class. He heard what was being put forward and just said (out loud) "Well I might as well throw my books in the bin I can't effing do this!" Fortunately we had an ex army instructor who said yes you can and you aren't gonna leave this room til I knock it into your head. Guess what? He got the highest marks and was the smartest of all of us. Give it time its new and alien, take time to consider worked examples and try to enjoy it. You will get the hang of it.

Sounds to me like you are doing fine. First couple of years on an apprenticeship are the most difficult as you find your feet and gain confidence. College - many students find the science & maths a challenge. Stick in and you'll get through it. Don't be frightened to ask for help/explanation of elements you are struggling with; put in time away from college on the stuff you find the hardest.
The very fact that your assessing your own progress is evidence that you are taking the learning process seriously.
If you are getting a range of experience on site that's good too; you'll get to do more on your own as things progress.
Good luck!

CHeers mate brilliant

I think we was all a bit like this at collage being that at the time I did new houses I found motors etc. hard to grasp in the end it all falls into place. Don't be afraid to ask. There is I understand a good trainee forum section on here apply to join it members on here a from a vast spectrum of electrical knowledgeable fields from hightower I think his name is who has just competed his exams to the more mature members like Tel and Pete.

It's only me being off and looking after the wife has got me onto YouTube and now understand Star/delta motor controls and contractors (even had a dabble at PLC) and I'm nearly 3 years in. Gawd bless YouTube !

You think it's hard as an apprentice, wait until your qualified then the learning starts. I wouldn't stress too much about the college side of things, you won't use half of what your taught anyway. Just muddle through it and brush up on things in your spare time.

Stick it out and ask for help when you need it. chances are that the person you ask was in the same situation as you at one stage and unless they are very unfriendly they'll be able to help with whatever you don't understand yet. I know I struggled at the start but eventually everything clicks into place.

Enjoy the learning cos it never stops. Keep doing what you're doing and good luck, you'll have no problems and the ones you do have are all part of the fun! :D If that makes sense! :confused:

Reply to Starting Second Year in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net