Discuss Static Caravan 100ma OK ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

scott1

-
Reaction score
Just been to look at a single static caravan on a farm, they are looking for a EICR to be done.
Incoming supply is TNCS.
80amp DP protected 10mm 2core SWA running 100 meters or more to a outdoor box under caravan containing a 100ma rcd and 16amp mcb, where it has been TTd fine. From this runs a 6mm t+e, clipped direct, feeding a 30ma protected board in the caravan.

Have a couple of things I am unsure about

Is the TTd 6mm t+e submain clipped direct, under the caravan ok protected by a 100ma rcd?

The 100 meters or more 10mm SWA with the volt drop would only be able supply about 10amps to the caravan. Would a 10amp HRC fuse at the incomer and a 10amp 60898 at the caravan provide discrimination of a sort? If not think the caravan will only be able to have a 6amp supply!

Thanks

TTD? What does the D stand for? Presumably you mean a separate TT earthing system has been set up.

There isn’t currently a requirement to provide 30mA RCD protection to a clipped direct cable.

A 10A mcb is highly unlikely to discriminate with a 10A fuse, or even a 6A mcb for that matter.
With the 16A mcb at the load end I can’t see the volt drop being much of an issue, and I should think that will discriminate with an 80A fuse.

Why are you worrying about planning remedial works before you’ve done the EICR? Surely you can’t know the outcome of the EICR or the customers wishes regards remedial work before it’s done?

debatable, Dave, as most statics are supplied from a RCD protected postand commando plug hook-ups, same as with tourer pitches. also metal skineed so PME not allowed.

I think that’s debatable, if it looks like a caravan, has wheels and is metal framed then I class it as a caravan. Would you say that a PME connection is ok, I’d rather follow the regulations for caravan park installations than not.
Some caravans have wheels but cannot be towed on the highway.
They have the wheels just so they can comply with Regulations and be sited on caravan parks.
They are if anything, mobile homes.

With respect Dave, be it a tourer or static the principle has got to be the same hasn't it?

No the principle is different.
Caravan pitches have RCD protection because it is a 16A socket outlet with no control over who plugs in to it and what they plug in.
Static caravans don’t move and have a fixed domestic electrical installation which is subject to the same regulations as any house so putting the whole thing onto a single 30mA RCD is non compliant

I think that’s debatable, if it looks like a caravan, has wheels and is metal framed then I class it as a caravan. Would you say that a PME connection is ok, I’d rather follow the regulations for caravan park installations than not.

Then you’ll be putting static caravans on a single 30mA RCD for the whole installation, locating it outside of the caravan and restricting the whole installation to 16A I presume?

debatable, Dave, as most statics are supplied from a RCD protected postand commando plug hook-ups, same as with tourer pitches. also metal skineed so PME not allowed.

At the static caravan parks I’ve worked on they are not supplied via external RCD or commando plug, they have been permanently connected SWA from an external meter position which in turn was fed via an HRC fuse in a feeder pillar.

At the static caravan parks I’ve worked on they are not supplied via external RCD or commando plug, they have been permanently connected SWA from an external meter position which in turn was fed via an HRC fuse in a feeder pillar.
some are as you say. park homes are the same. a lot of static caravan parks are done with hook-ups these days so as to make it easier to move/remove the caravans as and when required.. so both installation methods are in use.

Reply to Static Caravan 100ma OK ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net