Discuss Steel Conduit Bending Writen guide. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Quite interesting how different it is.

I suspect India and Australia are the same as the UK
but haven't been able to find any info on what method is common in Europe.

Quite interesting how different it is.

I suspect India and Australia are the same as the UK
but haven't been able to find any info on what method is common in Europe.

From what I have seen, they don't use much of it.

Or at least not in the factories I have worked in.

If they do use it, it's a multi core cable not singles run inside. Then for corners it's just free air until the next straight length.

Nobody ever used a bending block? I must admit, though, for ages now, I've used a Hilmour.
I've certainly never done any reading on it though, just practice and experience.

Nobody ever used a bending block? I must admit, though, for ages now, I've used a Hilmour.
I've certainly never done any reading on it though, just practice and experience.

I've used a home made bending block out of a plank of wood and a couple of drilled holes.

I was an apprentice at the time, was only shown out of my own interest. The site was fortunate to have Hilmors so that's what I was taught predominantly to use.

This whole thread made me chuckle - very funny toward the end. It is a tough subject and appears to be very experience oriented. I would advise the OP to get one, some conduit and play around.

Crickey!! Who uses steel conduit these days?
Worked in the UK 2007/8 couldn't believe you Brits were still using the stuff. Used steel conduit when I was an apprentice more than 40 years ago. Hateful stuff.
Long live Hi impact plastic.
But then I am from the southern hemisphere we can't understand what's happening with Brexit

Like most hot countries, they refrain from using steel, conduit, scaffold, in many areas, due to heat cables would get too hot. No replacement for on site experience, the last block I used was a 4 x4 post. Never seen a scaffold board used.

Thanks for the info guys , im a student and the last problem I had was the bending machine and finding the point of bending, One of my teachers shes a wizz and just does it all by eye but for me its frustrating things like that.

It is it seems making a bit of a comeback. I have done a trendy kitchen in galv no so long ago. And a commercial project at the docks in Bristol for cafes and so on. Very mixed skills on that site. Some of the younger lads in different units could not complete steel conduit and had to finish in PVC. Did give me a wry smile. There is a bit more to it than just getting stuck in. First off, set all the spacer bar saddles for the whole route with a laser. If you get that right the rest follows and it will look good. The other thing is apart from using running couplers, which I don't like the look of is you have to offer the galv conduit up to the saddles when made. Don't use 90 degree bends that are separate from the galv conduit! And make sure you have done your spacing calculations for the size of conduit. And definitely, ream out the tubes, v. important.

This is a great post and useful stuff in what is becoming a dying art. It is coming back as things often do. Appreciate the original diagrams too what a find.

Reply to Steel Conduit Bending Writen guide. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net