Discuss steel conduit help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I remember my first conduit install many years ago. Was a small warehouse and we had done the lighting runs at high level off two tall A frames and scaffold boards! All that was left was the toilet block, my old gaffer told me what was needed and disappeared, now I realise probably laughing. All was going well and I got stuck because no matter what I did there were two sections I could not join, I even assembled it in the warehouse then couldn't get it back through the toilet door. My gaffer returned knowing what was going to happen and showed me a running coupler.

Reread the original post, to join a straight length to a bend you just need a coupler.
I know but he was saying as he screwed one end the other end came undone (wish I had been there) or something akin to that not sure as I'm bored with conduit now, it's pub time, or soon will be. surely everyone know how to join 2 lengths of tube together, with a coupler you say, wish it was as simple as that in real life.

brill to see conduit back in use,rarely used these days,& I miss it,so much better job,& satisfaction guaranteed.
What job are you using it on,be interested to know.

Fitting some CCTV cameras and just wanted to make the installation look neat and professional (In my opinion steel conduit looks the part)

Mate I seriously hope you haven't been into a wholesaler and asked for one, mind you with some of the Herbert's working in some of them now I doubt if any of them know what a running coupler is, certainly that would be the case in Screwfix, I can just imagine one of the staff running around the stockroom in a panic, "where are the 20mm running couplers kept"

Haha not yet mate, just done some searching online.

I know but he was saying as he screwed one end the other end came undone (wish I had been there) or something akin to that not sure as I'm bored with conduit now, it's pub time, or soon will be. surely everyone know how to join 2 lengths of tube together, with a coupler you say, wish it was as simple as that in real life.

Yes that's correct.

You can't buy the running coupler, you make them yourself as and when you need to.
The running coupler is, if I can explain it in words, as follows. imagine you have to join two pieces of conduit by the running coupler method, and you have a MALE end.
On the piece you wish to join there is also a MALE end, extend this thread by tonjust over the length of a coupler and a locking ring or lock nut.
Run the lock nut on to the long thread until you run out of thread, now run the coupler on, you will be left with a MALE end on the conduit that is fixed to the wall, now install the conduit with the coupler and lock nut until the MALE end and the conduit with the coupler and lock nut meet, now turn the coupler onto the MALE end and then lock it in place with the lockring.

I hope that is understandable

I kind of understand, I'll read it again tomorrow and try it out at home. Thanks

Fitting some CCTV cameras and just wanted to make the installation look neat and professional (In my opinion steel conduit looks the part)

Haha not yet mate, just done some searching online.

Yes that's correct.

I kind of understand, I'll read it again tomorrow and try it out at home. Thanks

Advice given to me when I was apprentice was,don't be to elaborate with conduit,make the least amount of sets,kicks,saddle over'S as possible.
Straight runs & ease of installation paramount,you have a look around at some of the older jobs,conduits everywhere,bending in out over & down,basically not a clue on how to install correctly,really looks nasty.

Advice given to me when I was apprentice was,don't be to elaborate with conduit,make the least amount of sets,kicks,saddle over'S as possible.
Straight runs & ease of installation paramount,you have a look around at some of the older jobs,conduits everywhere,bending in out over & down,basically not a clue on how to install correctly,really looks nasty.
It's an art to which (I don't know why) I was very good at. I say was, not touched it for a while

Not one of my favourite things, my old gaffer taught me bends using a wood block with holes at either end. He was a master, could turn out perfect swan necks every time.

Not one of my favourite things, my old gaffer taught me bends using a wood block with holes at either end. He was a master, could turn out perfect swan necks every time.
For some reason I got a name as being the conduit King, the Boss would say "conduit, give it to Pete" don't know what it was, I was just good at it, never had any special tuition, some folk are good at something and can't explain it that was me.

Shame these skills are not being taught any more.I read a post long time ago, chap was saying that conduit work was labourers work. Don't think so.!!

It is still being taught, well it is on the SVQ3. Was part of the of the Scottish apprentice of the year competition aswell (which I came 2nd)

Also useful accessories for conduit installations, are sky hooks for mounting fluorescents and long weights for cable pulling. All available from your local wholesalers. :cool:
What about running couplers?

Reply to steel conduit help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net