Discuss Steel Conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was wondering last night, or should I say wandering, when I were a Lad working with steel and Galv conduit, I distinctly recall the Electricians I was working with always gad me filing the ends of couplers, locknuts etc and also removing the pain from entries into steel enclosures, I know in those days we normally used the conduit as the cpc.

Is this practice still in use, or do you just bung in an earth conductor to be sure of a decent continuity reading.

Morning Pete, I think a lot of guys frown upon putting a seperate cpc within the conduit because it kinda goes against the point of using the Galv in the first place but for me it surely can't be a bad thing to have it as back up JMO
Did you just make sure you got a good joint on every joint or would you bridge each joint with a fly lead to guarantee continuity of the conduit.

Never any need for a fly lead across a joint. You only had to make sure that all boxes and couplers were properly tightened onto the tube. Seen it too many times recently were everything is only finger tight lol.

Morning Pete, I think a lot of guys frown upon putting a seperate cpc within the conduit because it kinda goes against the point of using the Galv in the first place but for me it surely can't be a bad thing to have it as back up JMO
Did you just make sure you got a good joint on every joint or would you bridge each joint with a fly lead to guarantee continuity of the conduit.
Morning, no the only attention we gave to cleaning paint off of couplers and locknuts was when we used a running coupler joint, although once we had fitted all the tube we covered the joints wit plack paint for black tube and galv paint for galv tubing, the pipe vice always had a file nearby for all sparkies to use, when I qualified I made sure I had a decent set of files.

Never any need for a fly lead across a joint. You only had to make sure that all boxes and couplers were properly tightened onto the tube. Seen it too many times recently were everything is only finger tight lol.
Yes Sintra you are right any loose joints always resulted in an --- kicking from your mate.

That's why I asked Steve cause a lot of the " Electricians" these days just throw the stuff in as quick as they can and try to cover their backside by fly leads.
Sticking to the same thing did anyone or does anyone use flyer on a motor from say the fan Impeller case to the motor casing and look lie a pig tail.

Morning, no the only attention we gave to cleaning paint off of couplers and locknuts was when we used a running coupler joint, although once we had fitted all the tube we covered the joints wit plack paint for black tube and galv paint for galv tubing, the pipe vice always had a file nearby for all sparkies to use, when I qualified I made sure I had a decent set of files.

I love a good running coupler, but alas that's another bit of engineering that is getting lost with the new and younger guys.
I did one last year othe job I spoke about in another thread- 150 lengths of 20mm galv and I thread everything by hand. But the point i am making is I had a young lad helping me and when I produced the coupler he looked at me as though I was Dynamo the Magician. Although the one good thing is he spent the rest of the day doing his own with me overlooking him so at least he took something away from the experience.

Right Boys I really would love to stay and chat but I need to go and earn some money, see you all tonight .

I love a good running coupler, but alas that's another bit of engineering that is getting lost with the new and younger guys.
... I had a young lad helping me and when I produced the coupler he looked at me as though I was Dynamo the Magician.

I'm surprised at this! The theory and practice of running couplers is in the level 2 course, and learners need to fabricate one as part of their practical assessment.

I take your general point though... a lot of the old skills are fading away, we rely on folks like your good self to pass this knowledge on. So cheers! :)

I remember a thread about earthing trunking a bit ago. I emailed Unitrunk to ask them about it. They said that the fixings themselves are sufficient and earth bonding straps are not needed.
I will see if I can find the email or thread.

Off you go then mate, I'll just sit here and wait for me fry up and a nice cuppa

See post#11 mate. Already done. quick me... just ask the missus....

You bugger... I want a fry-up now...... :(

See post#11 mate. Already done. quick me... just ask the missus....

You bugger... I want a fry-up now...... :(
What Bacon, eggs, fried bread, Tomatoes, Mushrooms, don't like black pudding though, sorry forgot bread and butter, mug of tea lovely, Got to go it's ready now

The missus birthday on Tuesday so I'm booking the day off and for breakfast we are going to a Beefeater near us (near J31A of M6) and having an 'all you can eat' breakfast. They are nice. Kids eat for free. I'll have my fry up then. Enjoy your mate.

The missus birthday on Tuesday so I'm booking the day off and for breakfast we are going to a Beefeater near us (near J31A of M6) and having an 'all you can eat' breakfast. They are nice. Kids eat for free. I'll have my fry up then. Enjoy your mate.
I did I did,

As if we have a fry-up-off!

Picture or it didn't happen.

Sorry mate. Can't do. I think anyone who take pics of what they are going to each and then post them on any site are saddos.... :)

Reply to Steel Conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net