Discuss Stepping on another electricians toes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Whats everyone's thoughts on this?

I've been asked to finish off another sparks work. I've not looked at the job yet, but know it mainly involves central heating wiring.
The customer says that the electrician that has done the work up to now cant find the time to finish off, and the heating engineer would like to commission his work.
There has been a number of delays for the customer already and he doesn't want another one.
I don't know if the original spark has been told he's no longer required.
I'll test the supply to the heating, but not the whole installation (unless they ask me to)
If I find something wrong with the rest of the house, do I drop the original spark in it? (I'll post pics here if there is :))

what ever you do by taking on the job. you set price for any of the cr*p you find and have to sort out and putting in writing and get them to sign it or walk away.

Last edited:
I just hope he hasn’t ballsed up the wiring between the stats, valves and programmer.
I don’t personally know the customer, but it’s a small town, I’ll know someone that knows someone that knows them.
I can’t imagine it’s only the heating that needs finished off, it’s a new build. It could develop into more work

[QUOTE="littlespark, post: 1306142, member: 103809"]I just hope he hasn’t ballsed up the wiring between the stats, valves and programmer.
I don’t personally know the customer, but it’s a small town, I’ll know someone that knows someone that knows them.
I can’t imagine it’s only the heating that needs finished off, it’s a new build. It could develop into more work[/QUOTE]

Nowt like finding you're one conductor short,as the paint dries on the new plaster...:)

There'll almost certainly be more to this than you are initially being told. I'd commit to nothing but a looking at.
In truth, as soon as I am told a job "just needs finishing off" I'm already 99% decided I'm not going to go anywhere near it.

Been in this situation a few times. There's always 2 sides to the story! Best thing is to find out what the crack is way before you commit to undertaking any work.
On one particular job I didn't take my own advice, only to get stung a fair way into the job - 4k's worth! Turned out the customer (a commercial job) hadn't paid any recent bills and owed money all over the show. A year or so after I was offered 1p per pound owed by the creditors. I'm still waiting for payment now, 10 years later!

Could be he simply hasn't the time to get back, it has happened to me on numerous occasions where delays and customer changes have stopped me from finishing and I've had to go onto the next job as I'm too busy not to. Just recently I passed work onto another spark to finish a rewire I was doing as I wasn't going to be able to get back to it any time soon and customer had other trades coming in.

Reply to Stepping on another electricians toes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net