Discuss Stickers on board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have an on going job at the moment and I am hoping to use this for my certified scheme assessment, just a quick one with the stickers; RCD test quarterly, Periodic inspection and mixed colours (existing installation) Can these be on the underside of the cover that you open for the CB's or do they have to be stuck directly on to the front of the board?
May sound a silly question but I have heard these assessors can be a little picky at times.

And one more thing while I'm asking the tails from the cutout to the board goes through a cavity do they need flexi conduit?

You need to remember that if a sticker is under the cover then it can't be read without the cover being lifted. What use is that for something telling people that the installation needs to be periodically inspected and tested and a report on its condition obtained, or a notice advising them that RCDs should be tested quarterly?

I think you need to apply common sense:

If the board is in a house in a very visible place would you put them on the front?

If it's a 2 way board, where can you stick them?

As far as actually sticking them on.... The duel color label isn't necessary imho.

If the board is in a house in a very visible place would you put them on the front?
Yes, I would. Otherwise, as stated, they could not possibly achieve their purpose. If you wanted to hide them you could put them inside the distribution board so that they can only be seen when it is opened up by an Electrician - that wouldn't do much to inform people about the contents of the label though!!!

All I can say is based on talking to my clients, even with the labels on the front, I have yet to encounter a single one who knew they should test the RCDs in the CU quarterly. So hidden or on show, realistically, how many people actually follow the instructions? Same applies to the periodic inspection.

My Assessor did not comment on the sticker locations, just noted they were all there. Other Assessors may be different though.

Cables in walls less than 50mm below surface will need protection. Straight through a wall is ok, afaik.

Yes, I would. Otherwise, as stated, they could not possibly achieve their purpose. If you wanted to hide them you could put them inside the distribution board so that they can only be seen when it is opened up by an Electrician - that wouldn't do much to inform people about the contents of the label though!!!

Where would you plonk those nice labels on this type of CU then?

View attachment 35754

Having spent couple hours Monday up ladder sorting out the lighting circuit from hell, I have a special sticker suggestion.
It was 1930s council house, re-wired in 70s and then customised by a series of diy projects. One rose was a spaghetti nightmare with signs of electrons escaping in a disorderly fashion and 5/8 of no room to fix and no cable ... the phrase "polishing a brown item" comes to mind.

View attachment 35756

Last edited:
Blooming heck, they get up early in Neath :)

I'll take your word for it. I can only speak for myself as I'm in between Newport and Cardiff, was only in Neath for the meeting, and I'm up early for another meeting, better than last nights though, the one this morning included breakfast :)

All I can say is based on talking to my clients, even with the labels on the front, I have yet to encounter a single one who knew they should test the RCDs in the CU quarterly. So hidden or on show, realistically, how many people actually follow the instructions? Same applies to the periodic inspection.
Our industry loves notices, fit a nice new board and cover it in nasty stickers. All totally pointless.

So by that logic, you musn't allow your boards to be installed in dedicated cupboards - or at least if you do that cupboard must be covered in stickers. And if you have no problem with cupboards, how is it any different to putting a sticker inside the lid of the CU? Most people aren't going to open the cupboard unless there is a problem, just like they wouldn't open the lid of the CU unless there was a problem.

I'll take your word for it. I can only speak for myself as I'm in between Newport and Cardiff, was only in Neath for the meeting, and I'm up early for another meeting, better than last nights though, the one this morning included breakfast :)

Sigh......those meetings, I remember them. Only thing they seem to resolve, was when to have the next meeting :D

So by that logic, you musn't allow your boards to be installed in dedicated cupboards - or at least if you do that cupboard must be covered in stickers. And if you have no problem with cupboards, how is it any different to putting a sticker inside the lid of the CU? Most people aren't going to open the cupboard unless there is a problem, just like they wouldn't open the lid of the CU unless there was a problem.
You don't have a choice about applying the labels at or near the distribution board. Whether you think they look great or otherwise is completely immaterial. I try to avoid a distribution board in a press personally. (In fact across the border it is a prohibited practice!)

Reply to Stickers on board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net