Discuss Stolen electric in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, it's a long time since I posted on here but I'm in need of some advice.

I have been asked to attend a flat by the landlord who has evicted the tenant with help from bailiffs, The landlord said that the tenant was doing some indoor gardening, I don't have any further information than that.

When I go to the property, if I find evidence of tampering with the supply, do I inform the police, the supply company or both?

If it has been messed with before the metre, is it down to the supplier to make it safe?

Sorry if the answer seems obvious to you, but I have never come across this situation before.

Cheers

You have been asked to attend the flat by the landlord. So you report your findings back to the client (landlord) and then the ball is in his court. It's up to him what he does. You're not working for the supply company or the police. You're working for the landlord.

If you find anything irregular, take photos of the Head/ Meter as a record of how you found it regardless of whether it's obviously bypassed or not.
But most likely the DNO will have already been in and disconnected.

If it's had someone growing a large crop in there they have often bypassed the meter and cut out so there is a good chance you will need to dno or meter operator to make it safe. Easiest to get them involved early so you don't get blamed for any damage or theft of supply.

but it's up to the landlord as the owner of the property to contact DNO> you could do so on his behalf. as snow says. take a photo or 2.

You might be able to pick up some free light fittings, if the landlord doesn't want them :)

Would they be Low power, Low energy fittings I wonder.
Maybe just used for illumination in dark cupboards and Lofts???

TBH if the tenant has already been evicted, its like closing the door after the horse has bolted.
Perhaps but the installation still needs to be made safe. As the Hawk says, Joolssq needs to report to his client, the landlord at it is up to him to decide what to do about it.

No doubt there will be costs involved. I suppose the theft could be reported to the police and the thieves may be traced and charged - no pun intended. Whether the landlord would be able to recover any costs is a moot point. But then there is surely a civic duty not to let these criminals get away with their nefarious activities.

Perhaps but the installation still needs to be made safe. As the Hawk says, Joolssq needs to report to his client, the landlord at it is up to him to decide what to do about it.

No doubt there will be costs involved. I suppose the theft could be reported to the police and the thieves may be traced and charged - no pun intended. Whether the landlord would be able to recover any costs is a moot point. But then there is surely a civic duty not to let these criminals get away with their nefarious activities.
Yes absolutely, I am talking about the theft of tizzy, we all have to pay for that you know.

You know what I saying, the tenant has skipped off, stolen Electricity if you don't understand, costs to DNO and supplier, we pay for that, no chance of recouping the money, nobody cares because honest people have to pay for this out of our energy bills.
Yes, I understand all of that.
I still don't know what tizzy is in this context.

in the worst case you will have leccy taped straight off the mains cable, hundreds of dodgy extension leads wired to tens of timers and HID control gear. have fun :)

I normally ring the DNO Powercut number when I come across any dangerous DNO equipment, there pretty helpful and they send someone to sort it. Most of them the DNO's have a revenue protection team which will deal with any theft.

sam

Reply to Stolen electric in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock