Discuss Stolen tools on site? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just like to know your thoughts on stolen tools on site, I was working a job awhile back for Derby uni and the spark I was working with had a Makita Impact drill + battery stolen out of his bag even though we were working in a quiet area and we went upstairs to collect materials no more than 5 minutes and his drill was gone. I've also had a few drivers and cable cutters stolen on site too in the past.
Surely they can't expect us to carry our tools everywhere we go or to padlock and close the tool bag? How about if you have the open tote bag? Why would you steal from the people you work with?!

Be great to know your thoughts

Hey all,

Just like to know your thoughts on stolen tools on site, I was working a job awhile back for Derby uni and the spark I was working with had a Makita Impact drill + battery stolen out of his bag even though we were working in a quiet area and we went upstairs to collect materials no more than 5 minutes and his drill was gone. I've also had a few drivers and cable cutters stolen on site too in the past.
Surely they can't expect us to carry our tools everywhere we go or to padlock and close the tool bag? How about if you have the open tote bag? Why would you steal from the people you work with?!

Be great to know your thoughts
Anyone stealing a trades person's tools or equipment, should be rightly prosecuted if caught, the punishment dished out by the courts will be lenient, as is the general rule, but if youre caught on site nicking tools, look out rough justice will be dispensed.

Its a cruel world, full of thieving bar stewards. So if you don't want things to disappear, take sensible precautions.

Its a cruel world, full of thieving bar stewards. So if you don't want things to disappear, take sensible precautions.
Agree, but not always possible, tools on site, no matter who they belong to should be sacrosanct, anyone caught nicking them should be dealt with quickly by the people who are the owners, forget the Police if caught on site, feral justice rules imo. Put into other words if I caught anyone nicking my kit, the culprit would need to visit A&E on his way home.

I look at it this way, you never ever steal a mans tools as these are the things he uses to work with to feed himself and his family. Anyone that steals tools is utter scum.

The only way is a metal lockable toolbox chained to something if you have to leave it, I don't even like lending tools to people as some people don't know how to respect them.

One of my apprentices is a good lad but right lairy if he has to be.....working on a site and he had a twin charger with two 18v battery's on charge in the site hut. The wood butchers final day on site and it went missing .....As the wood butcher was about to drive off site he ran over and made him get out the van (I say made him get out, more like dragged him out). Went through his van and found the charger and both battery's...My apprentice put one on his chin there and then and put him on his back side. The site manager came out and said fair play and told the wood butcher he won't be working on any of his sites again :D

Another story about the same apprentice as mentioned above......Done a job for a new builder and there was a couple of extras that amounted to about £150. Got paid for the job but the builder kept on swerving me for the £150. He kept on saying I'll post it through your door and it just never materialised. Any way about 6 months later my apprentice was driving past Howdens and see his van in there. He pulled in and parked up and waited for the builder to come out. Sure enough he comes out but he's with his labourer. My apprentice sneaked up the passenger side of the van and made the labourer get out, he jumped in and told the builder that he's going to go with him now up the cash point to get the £150. He made this builders labourer stand in the car park whilst he made him drive up the cash point :D. I was at home unaware of what had just happened and got a knock at the door, it was my apprentice laughing with £150 in his hand.... he explained what happened, both had a right good chuckle over it and I let him keep the £150 for all his efforts :) The builder text me a couple of hours later apologising for taking the pee and to ask if my apprentice will leave him alone if he sees him again haha:D

Another story about the same apprentice as mentioned above......Done a job for a new builder and there was a couple of extras that amounted to about £150. Got paid for the job but the builder kept on swerving me for the £150. He kept on saying I'll post it through your door and it just never materialised. Any way about 6 months later my apprentice was driving past Howdens and see his van in there. He pulled in and parked up and waited for the builder to come out. Sure enough he comes out but he's with his labourer. My apprentice sneaked up the passenger side of the van and made the labourer get out, he jumped in and told the builder that he's going to go with him now up the cash point to get the £150. He made this builders labourer stand in the car park whilst he made him drive up the cash point :D. I was at home unaware of what had just happened and got a knock at the door, it was my apprentice laughing with £150 in his hand.... he explained what happened, both had a right good chuckle over it and I let him keep the £150 for all his efforts :) The builder text me a couple of hours later apologising for taking the pee and to ask if my apprentice will leave him alone if he sees him again haha:D
One useful Apprentice you have there Lee

I seem to recall a thread about people dishing out their own justice to thieving scum burgling their properties, where I suggested reasonable force was justifiable. A lot disagreed, saying the law wasn't on their side.

Seems we have a different viewpoint when it comes to tools. Buyer beware :)

I seem to recall a thread about people dishing out their own justice to thieving scum burgling their properties, where I suggested reasonable force was justifiable. A lot disagreed, saying the law wasn't on their side.

Seems we have a different viewpoint when it comes to tools. Buyer beware :)
Stolen tool retribution, doesn't attract the same interest as general public vigilantism. Tool theft is usually dealt with onsite out of the notice of the long arm of the Law. with the culprit far too ashamed of what he has done to warrant reporting it, bit like the Cosa Nostra, out of site out of mind, with the added bonus of knowing full well he wouldn't do it again, rock on.

I agree, my feeling is it tends to be people of other trades who see an opportunity to pinch your tools and they'll be off, I can't see another spark stealing off another spark.

Pete999: youre right they should be prosecuted but 99% of the time the site managers response is "bad luck mate, your tools should of kept them safe"... even though we're there to help him get the job done. Anyway we keep all tools in the van and literally take in what we need and take a small lockable box with a padlock, it slows the job down as it means running back and fourth, its the same with step ladders on site leave them for one second and they go wondering off as someones "borrowed" them

years ago. i left a triple extension ladder ove weekend on site at the request of the plasterers. monday morning, found it bottom of trench, 5 minutes before concrete footings were poured in. plasterers turned up to find approx 50 big holes in their weekend skimmed walls.

years ago. i left a triple extension ladder ove weekend on site at the request of the plasterers. monday morning, found it bottom of trench, 5 minutes before concrete footings were poured in. plasterers turned up to find approx 50 big holes in their weekend skimmed walls.
Revenge is sweet :D ... just hope they didnt plaster over your sockets

Revenge is sweet :D ... just hope they didnt plaster over your sockets
knowing that i would pi$$ in their newly mixed finish, they wouldn't dare.

Now that's the way to do ithttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqDcldx6gqg

I recall working in the car factory in Oxford in the 80's. We had a large tool box chest on wheels, which we chained up each night to nearby rsj's, along with ladders. Nothing ever went missing, which was surprising with the amount of stuff that got nicked from the car factory!

One chap decided to nick a car battery, hung round his neck on a rope, lodged on the cross bar of his bike, covered over by his cycling cape. Worked well, until he hit the kerb at the gate, dislodging it off the crossbar under the watchful eyes of the security guards. Least they didn't have to chase him :D

Reply to Stolen tools on site? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock