Discuss Stopping at traffic lights in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Percyprod

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why a lot of drivers stop a car length from the white line at traffic lights? Totally baffles me, but so many drivers do it I thought there must be a reason.

No idea. Maybe making room for cyclists to come through ? like when there is a green box for them at the front of the lane.

Anyone know why most drivers seem to think that pedestrian crossings are optional for them to stop at ? Or when they do stop then it's required for them to set off while people are still on the crossing nearly clipping their heels ?

No, just an ordinary set of traffic lights, no cyclist box. They just stop way before the white line. Doesn't really matter, just curious.

Can anyone explain why a lot of drivers stop a car length from the white line at traffic lights? Totally baffles me, but so many drivers do it I thought there must be a reason.
I would suggest 95% are Female

I know the vast majority of you Jocks are alcoholics but do not try to drag us english into your way of life lol, we do not need to be constantly ----ed to chill out.

Last edited:
PMSL, as your a Jock I actually believe you haha

Its Rab C Nesbit, not Rob
There can be any reason to stop a length before the actual stop line at lights:
Better view of the road ahead.
Better view of possible pedestrians close by.
Timing of driving off. you can start moving forward on amber, but still behind the line.

I don't know for sure. but if that's all you worry about on a Saturday night, YOU are the one that needs a drink

They may possibly be stopping on the detection loops to make sure their vehicle gets picked up. I'm sure some of the bikers here will be familiar with having to stop on the loops & rev :)

Reply to Stopping at traffic lights in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net