Discuss Storage Heater Fault...... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

kevyn

-
Reaction score
Just been looking at a faulty storage heater. Tested the elements and thermal link all ok. Does anyone know what else could go wrong and where to look?

This may not apply but I find the No.1 problem with storage heaters, more so off peak ones is people dont know how to use them. They come and check them at random times of the day and fiddle the dials without knowing what they actually do!!

What I suggest is write down what the output and input dials do and what on which setting will give out how much/little heat.
Than draw up a small table with 3 days down the side and times going across at 3 hour intervals.
Set the dials for about 4 on each dial. This should allow the brick to last ling enough during the day so it can be monitored at decent intervals. If this works, tell the customer to change the dials with a bit of trial and error to get their preferred setting.
If it doesn't work...... Er you've got some more testing :D

Test L-N at the isolator switch on the load side with the switch off. If the heater is ok you will get a reading of around 18 ohms-ish....if so the heater will work so there is a supply fault. If open circuit the heater is inoperative and will be either connections,thermal cutouts,stats or elements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always check the supply the amount of DP switches on these i have found faulty ,do an R1+R2 and and Rn + R2 at least you know the cables are ok but as telex has said thermostat , way to find if thats ok is to switch the isolator off and do a continuity test at the incomming cable terminal block ,also do an insulation test of the elements ,and do a proper continuity test of the elements and seee what the resistance is ,as doing a continuity with a set of prods may not be acurate

The most common problem with storage heaters is a faulty charge controller, which is on the top of the heater ( dimplex), which is like a set of points on a car, which open when the desired temp is reached cutting the supply to the elements.when faulty the contacts stick together and the temp gets to high resulting in the thermal link going, which is the secondary protection for the heater.before the thermal link goes the heater will get extremely hot.

Before you do anything with a storage heater switch it off at the wall outlet open this up and measure the resistance of the heater if a open circuit then find out if the old culprit ie the tenant who piles clothes on it and then trips the hight limit thermal lock out. if the resistance is say 18 ohms then work back to the DB switch it off and again measure from the CB/fuse to confirm continuity . If you get an open circuit then check if the high limit needs reset also as mentioned above the Dimplex models have a combined control/high limit control stat have a look at the contacts if there is heavy pitting then change it Also before you reset anything always check the switch side of the control module to ensure you have continuity

the easiest way is to power it up and then you check if everything is working how it should with your test probes once you've checked the obvious ,fuse,timeclock etc

I think, faulty thermostat is the most common reason of faulty storage heater. And also loose connection is one of them. Actually, most of time shows that many people do not understand how to use storage heater correctly.

Reply to Storage Heater Fault...... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net