Discuss Storage heater not working... Wonder Why!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

acowx

Hi all, thought I would share this one,

Got called to a job today where an elderly gentleman's storage heaters weren't working at all, so I get to the job and do what I usually do with storage heaters and check the safety cut out on the thermostat, all ok??? Mmmm ok next switch burnt out nope??? The one storage heater is fairly new and only been installed 2 months ago, after some further investigation I found that the thermostat connection had been shorting out on the metal casing of the heater and when I had a look at the consumer unit I could see why the heaters weren't working anymore...

IMG_3320.jpg

The breaker that supplied this heater had melted together with the other heater breaker...

Got to go back tomorrow and test, then replace...

The elderly man had a poor sense of smell and could not smell the burning, I smelt it as soon as I opened the cupboard door.

Cheers
Ash

When you find mcb's like this, what makes me laugh is the clients reaction when you show them the problem....

OH MY GOD I COULD OF DIED ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WE WERE NEARLLY ON FIRE ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Had a similar thing last year with an oven cct. The busbar end of an MK was on its way to being like that but luckily had no gone that far. The busbar screw was loose as you like, in fact it had not been tightened at all, i could hear it buzzing as soon as i opened the cupboard door.

No idea how long it had been like that, it didn't look new.

Reply to Storage heater not working... Wonder Why!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, I have an Economy 7 storage heater Dimplex CXL24N - 3.4kW Storage Heater + Convector ( there not available anymore) that dos'nt work and...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, Had a call out today about an odd issue with a newish Creda DT storage heater. Basically.. Storage heaters were installed in one flat...
Replies
Views
Been round to a house to quote to replace some storage heaters for new panel heaters and came across a strange (to me at least) way of wiring the...
Replies
Views
In a property with two consumer units one for the ring main etc., and the other for the 1970s storage heaters (storage heater CU looks like it’s...
Replies
Views
There was always talk of teleswitch transmitters being switched off. Does anyone know if that is a thing, or whether it’s been done? I was at a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock