Discuss Storage heater / Oil filled radiator / Ceramic radiator????? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Liz

-
Reaction score
I’ve just bought a 1 bed apartment with storage heaters from the early 1980’s with no thermostat. The apartment is electric only and I’m trying to work out what is the best replacement for the old storage heaters. I have economy 7

What I can’t work out is am I best to go for:

1. Storage heaters with thermostat
2. Oil filled electric radiators
3. Ceramic electric radiators
4. a mixture of above
5. something else that I have not thought of.

The bedroom will only be used at night.

The living room will be throughout the day. The size of it requires 2 heaters

The hallway would need a small heater being used throughout the day to stop it freezing in the winter

Thermostats that are easy to use are a must.

Any advise would be appreciated as trying to get the correct info on google is a minefield

TBH it's really difficult to give absolute advice on a forum..... You really need to get a few people round and listen to their advice.

The thing to really think about is economy 7, it's not as cheap as it's made out as you pay a higher day rate.

Panel heaters with timers and thermostats do make some sense ...

Cheap isn't always best

TBH it's really difficult to give absolute advice on a forum..... You really need to get a few people round and listen to their advice.

The thing to really think about is economy 7, it's not as cheap as it's made out as you pay a higher day rate.

Panel heaters with timers and thermostats do make some sense ...

Cheap isn't always best
Thanks for the advise. I've tried to get people to come round, but I live in Pembrokeshire, where they have this thing called the "Pembrokeshire Promise", which is basically the Spanish "manana", but ten times worse (yes, i'll come round, but then not turn up but not tell you I won't turn up) .

I have been reading that economy 7 is a bit of a false economy so it's good to read your feedback.

My personal preference would be to ditch the storage heaters, come off Economy 7 and go for wall mounted electric radiators or panel heaters. You can have the option of a thermostat to control the system as a whole, but in your case I'd just go for models that have decent timers and thermostats in each unit so you can have control over each room directly. That way, you can set the bedroom one to come on an hour before bedtime, the living room one to come on in the morning, the hallway one on low all winter, etc. etc.

My personal preference would be to ditch the storage heaters, come off Economy 7 and go for wall mounted electric radiators or panel heaters. You can have the option of a thermostat to control the system as a whole, but in your case I'd just go for models that have decent timers and thermostats in each unit so you can have control over each room directly. That way, you can set the bedroom one to come on an hour before bedtime, the living room one to come on in the morning, the hallway one on low all winter, etc. etc.

Last edited:
So I am going to ditch the economy 7 and go for electric wall mounted radiators. I had decided to go for liquid / oil filled radiators as I had read that they are cheaper to run than convector heaters.

But then I got really confused when I found an oil filled convector heater under the radiator section in Screwfix.
Acova TAG-100-056-S Wall-Mounted Oil-Filled Convector Heater 1000W - https://www.screwflix..com/p/acova-tag-100-056-s-wall-mounted-oil-filled-convector-heater-1000w/69827

Does anyone have any good recommendations of where to buy liquid radiators?

Traditional convector heaters tend to heat a room much faster than oil filled radiators and the like, so bear that in mind. Don't forget that even though wet heating systems (central heating) use 'radiators', that name is misleading as more heat is convected than radiated. The one you've linked to will convect more than radiate too. It looks a bit expensive for what it is. Looks like the right kind of thing though. Whichever you go for just make sure it has a timer and thermostat.

It's a ridiculous price - it's also designed to be permanently wired, so add the price of a fused spur install to it.

It doesn't appear to have a timer either ...............

Just remember that Screwfix aren't reknown for quality products ............ and get input from a local spark before you get your credit card out................

It doesn't appear to have a timer either ...............

Just remember that Screwfix aren't reknown for quality products ............ and get input from a local spark before you get your credit card out................
Thanks for the screwfix tip. I've only ever bought small things from them before.
It's a ridiculous price - it's also designed to be permanently wired, so add the price of a fused spur install to it.
Thanks for letting me know the price is way too high. I have no idea about these things. Do you have any advise where you would buy this sort of thing?

Traditional convector heaters tend to heat a room much faster than oil filled radiators and the like, so bear that in mind. Don't forget that even though wet heating systems (central heating) use 'radiators', that name is misleading as more heat is convected than radiated. The one you've linked to will convect more than radiate too. It looks a bit expensive for what it is. Looks like the right kind of thing though. Whichever you go for just make sure it has a timer and thermostat.
Thanks. After reading your advise plus others, I've come to the conclusion that "radiator" is the most misused word in the English language.

I'm wondering where my reply has just gone - apparently I've just started a conversation .......

I meant to post it here.

I'm wondering where my reply has just gone - apparently I've just started a conversation .......

I meant to post it here.

Hi Sean,

I don't have gas in the apartment, its electric only.

I've since been looking at the options below.

Dimplex which is expensive to purchase, but claims to reduce electric costs longer term

Google Shopping – Product not found - https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/5843417929090953915?client=firefox-b-ab&dcr=0&biw=1280&bih=492&output=search&q=dimplex+radiators&oq=dimplex+radiators&prds=paur:ClkAsKraXyf-Wxzt5LCxICnswDreon_mpWQrkrWeYW3xSPNZ1c_LW9Qnm572fvFLti4pKyb3iymhLv-RhPHg4kMKhbQoYbMGsE5F0xVlUIAMQrc7eN_WD85U_RIZAFPVH73zV_aCVcdoXA4yLMVt6j18O4b6kw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQofaf94HXAhVEZFAKHY_jAY8Q8wIIigQwAQ

Elnur - A brand I have not heard of

Elnur 1kW Oil Filled Electric Radiator Manual Control - White - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ERRF8P.html?source=adwords&ad_position=1o9&ad_id=45425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=ERRF8P&product_partition_id=174053997427&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvabPBRD5ARIsAIwFXBkKq3S_IhjYXMhE-uJ1m6KiQIowV1uVaRGreFm3SU5NHO8__VC8GzYaAh6-EALw_wcB

ADAX - This option is cheaper than the others, so not sure if this means value for money, or more expensive running costs.

ADAX APO Oil Filled Electric Thermostatic Wall Mounted Radiator - https://richmondradiators.com/product/adax-apo-oil-filled-electric-thermostatic-wall-mounted-radiator/?attribute_pa_power-output=1250w&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvabPBRD5ARIsAIwFXBnRbLVslYQRdMLdjuc7kXbdeHdjSwbXsSOUxA3mHIlEw0Suy6AciaQaAnPNEALw_wcB

All electric heating of that type have the same running costs, given the same wattage - simplistically, you'll get one unit of heat out for every unit of electricity you feed it.

If the flat is insulated to the same standards as most 1980s properties you'll likely need to be spending a significant amount of money to keep it at a comfortable temperature.

An air to air heat pump will at least provide you with a positive CoP.

Rather than spend a lot of money of those expensive radiators you have listed, which offer no advantages over a far cheaper item (other than visual ammenity) - why not buy a cheap heater (which can be plugged into an existing 13A socket, and see if it's output is adequate (in terms of heat) - this will also allow you to assess the running costs.

HD907-9Q Freestanding Oil-Filled Radiator 2000W - https://www.screwflix..com/p/hd907-9q-freestanding-oil-filled-radiator-2000w/3730p

Reply to Storage heater / Oil filled radiator / Ceramic radiator????? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock