• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Storage Heater with 4 wires in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My mum bought some storage heaters with in built thermostat and I noticed there were 4 wires, live, neutral, earth and a black cable. I've wired storage heaters before and they didn't have this 4th black cable. How is this 4th cable wired? She has Economy 10 in the house is it possible to wire it direct from fused spur from an Economy 10 socket?
Thanks in advance.

Would they be Dimplex?

I've just installed a QRad by Dimplex, the black lead is something to do with their control system. I think it's referred to as the Pilot signal. If you're not using their controls, put it in a terminal as under certain conditions it can rise to 240v.

This is what I can remember from a brief read of the installation manual.

Would they be Dimplex?

I've just installed a QRad by Dimplex, the black lead is something to do with their control system. I think it's referred to as the Pilot signal. If you're not using their controls, put it in a terminal as under certain conditions it can rise to 240v.

This is what I can remember from a brief read of the installation manual.

She has two Dimplex storage heaters but these have the standard 3 coloured cables, which I connected up easily easily enough. However the other isn't a Dimplex storage heater it has the temperature dial at the top of the heater to adjust the temperature, so I don't quite understand what the black cable is for.

apparently,according to my wholesaler anyway traditional storage heaters are not going to be sold by manufacturers of them after January (euro directive) and new ones will need a permanent supply as well to power programmer and instant heat/fan,dont know how true this is,but they are selling old ones off

apparently,according to my wholesaler anyway traditional storage heaters are not going to be sold by manufacturers of them after January (euro directive) and new ones will need a permanent supply as well to power programmer and instant heat/fan,dont know how true this is,but they are selling old ones off
those bl**dy euro crouts stick they nose where it not needed.

A little more info mum intends to have it hard wired and spurred off a Economy 10 socket so when that kicks in the storage heater comes on overnight and automatically goes off in the morning. Thanks!

I don't understand why it would be for a programmer? It's a night storage heater, the supply to it is already time controlled, what's the point of additional time controls?

Sorry Dave I'm typing on a tablet and far too lazy to be accurate and detailed in my posts.

Dimplex Duo heat uses a combination of storage and radiant panel.

Setback basically leaves the background storage heat as is and reduces the output from the panel.

Reply to Storage Heater with 4 wires in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back