Discuss Storage Heaters input timer in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
Any Storage heater experts out there? I have been asked to identify suitable storage heaters for a single metered supply but with night discount.
I've identified two possibles; Elnur HHR & Dimplex Quantum. Interested to know your opinions and help me out with a related question; Elnur gives clear menu setting instructions for input times but Dimplex don't? I figure there must be an input timer facility in the Dimplex but I can't find anywhere if its a set default or it can be installer set. Any help gratefully received.

Re#3 - i made an enquiry last Jul 18 - scroll down to bottom to see it - and then read GD's response immediately below.

I cannot see any good electrical reason why one cannot do what snowhead and I had in mind - one supply to the SH - but I gave up and put the renewal project I had in mind using these GD SHs in the pending tray.

Thank you for your email. The quantum heater is designed to only work with separate connections to an off peak supply and a 24 hour supply. Although some energy suppliers have now provided a single fuse box for the off peak tariff, the quantum heater is not compatible with this. You will need to have two separate supplies for the quantum.

The supply connection you have described has not been tried and tested with this product so we are unable to advise on this.

Please don't hesitate to call us on 0344 879 3588 or email us at [email protected] as this account is not always monitored.
Kind Regards,
Heather, customer care
Heather Scott
Customer Services Advisor

A Millbrook House Grange Drive, Hedge End, Southampton SO30 2DF
T 0344 879 35 88
E [email protected]

Storage Heaters input timer {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Storage Heaters input timer {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Sent: 07 July 2018 09:59
To: GDC Pre-Sales <[email protected]>
Subject: dimplex quantum technical query on off peak and 24 hr supplies

Dear Sir or Madam,

The literature says that dimplex quantum storage heaters need both an off-peak and 24 hour supply - ie: two cables runs back, one to a Consumer Unit for Off peak and the other to a Consumer Unit for 24 Hours. I assume this for the case when there are two meters one for off-peak and one for 24hrs.

In my case I have one meter which is dual tariff economy 7 switched between Normal and Low by an internal clock. This feeds one Consumer Unit.

Since the Quantum has an integral programmer I see no reason why I cannot run one suitably sized cable to the heater from my CU, at the end of which are two switches, one for the storage heater and the other for the fan and convector element. Of course I will have to synchronise the clock of the storage heater with the dual tariff meter's clock and the period when E7 is available.

Am I right please?

Yours sincerely

Last edited:
Marconi & Snowhead, Thanks very much for your replies. I have found there has been a change in GD's installation information From the 'A' series to the current 'G' series (no real change in functionality/ capability between the series). It appears that a single supply utilising links between the L & N on connector block 24hr & restricted WAS acceptable but now it is not! I cannot fathom the reason for this and it appears that the 'intelligent' unit now relies on a restricted timed supply from the supplier rather than allowing input setting on the unit itself. So development in technology and I guess updated software/chipped control board has ended up in limiting installation potential. Seems a retrograde step to me but hey I'm not a heater designer! Happy sparking!

Reply to Storage Heaters input timer in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock