Discuss Stoves range cooker tripping RCD in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gregg

-
Reaction score
Model 444440196 I think, Gas and electric. It fails when I turn the lower oven on in any capacity except just fan (fan without heating in any way). It has a fan and grill element and they both trip it. It has an option for just fan alone without heating and that doesn't trip it (least I think that's the option. Light is on and fan blowing but no heat)
It trips regardless of turning the heat dial as well. So trips instantly when choosing a function.

I've tested all 3 elements for resistance and they all seem fine. I'm going to try disconnecting each one in turn and see if it trips with any of them off

Ok I think it's the bottom element which I have no idea how to access or remove... The other two are inside the oven. Plus I don't know where to order a new one from

I've tested all 3 elements for resistance and they all seem fine. I'm going to try disconnecting each one in turn and see if it trips with any of them off

You have an RCD tripping so you have an earth fault. Testing resistance across the elements is not relevant to the fault you are looking for.

You need to find what is down to earth, so if you don't have an insulation resistance tester then disconnecting them one by one like you said would be another way of finding the offending item.

One or more of your heating elements has a leak to ground, the easiest way to find which one it is, is by simply taking the wires off the element and re-apply power,if it holds, replace the element. Remember just because the element may work doesn't mean it's ok. It can still work whilst leaking current to ground ( which is what your RCD is detecting ).

Be careful removing the elements.

The wires are connected by spade crimps that simply pull off the blades on the element, but are completely bare metal.

You cannot let them touch the metallic shell of the oven when you turn it back on.

If it has a fan, the element may be a coil shape around the fan blades. Behind a cover?

Out of interest, what were the readings you got when you tested them?

They were either 30 or 50 ohms I think. I electrical taped the ends while testing. The spade connections were corroded on that element. I cleaned them off which made no difference. Where do I get the same size spade connectors to replace them (and are they easy to replace?) And the only way to get that one out is to tip the oven back and unwrap the insulation underneath which seems stupid but after twenty minutes looking at it from every possible angle I couldn't find an alternative.
It has some sort of silver foil tape holding it. Can I replace that with gaffer tape as it's outside the insulation or do I need to order it from somewhere (where?)

Possibly, looks like that corrosion goes all the way onto the spade, as said in post 5 above thoug testing resistance of the elements is not relevant to the fault you have, you need an insulation resistance tester, alltgough looking at that it may pick up on a normal ohmeter, just put one probe on the metal bracket and one on the spade and see what it says

Reply to Stoves range cooker tripping RCD in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net