Discuss Strange 2-way wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Judd

-
Reaction score
Came across some bizarre wiring for a 2-way recently in a old house. Anyone ever seen this before? Was this ever the done thing many moons ago? (Sorry for the rough sketch)Strange 2-way wiring sketch-1542730301350 - EletriciansForums.net

So the lamp gets,
L - N or
L - L or
L - N or
N - N

Interesting, but I've never seen or heard of it.
Maybe goes back to the days of D.C, especially as you've labelled it + / -

There's several ways a 2-way system can be wired and this is one of them. It will work fine but it's unorthodox.

I've never seen that before, and I don't think it was ever common practice and it certainly does not comply with the regulations.
Just out of interest, assuming the lamps aren't ES fittings, what regs would it violate?

530.3.2 ..... In single-phase circuits an independently operated single-pole switching or protective device shall not be inserted in the neutral conductor alone.

530.3.2 ..... In single-phase circuits an independently operated single-pole switching or protective device shall not be inserted in the neutral conductor alone.
Hmm, sounds like a grey area to me. By the letter of that reg as it's written the switching arrangement in the OP would be fine. If the reg said 'operate' instead of 'inserted' then it would apply but both live and neutral are 'inserted' so it could be argued it doesn't apply.

Was shown this wiring diagram over 30 years ago when an electrician asked how many two switching I could draw. I could draw a couple but not this one. I'm impressed it is out there. It does work. It would confuse today's electricians. So it obviously exists out there.

I've seen this method twice, all wired in single red wires one to each switch insulated and sheathed
don't know if there is a proper name for it both properties wired in sixties I think

I was a new spark when I came across it 18 years ago and it did confuse me a bit as I was supposed to just fit a jb and change to a couple of downlights
And of course didn't see anything like this at college

potentially dangerous as when both switches are with common switched to L, the light is off, so Mr. layman would think it was safe to stick his sausage fingers in there.

Hi

This is a functional montage. Some electricians do it to save wires from common poles between the two SPDT switches. So instead of having two wires between each switch, a live wire to the lamp and a neutral, you need only two wires for the lamp support terminal. Bear in mind that there is a need to have L and N inside each surface mounted electrical box (pvc/...) to feed the switches. When this is not appropriate /possible they use the wiring you have in your head.

Dj

Hmm, sounds like a grey area to me. By the letter of that reg as it's written the switching arrangement in the OP would be fine. If the reg said 'operate' instead of 'inserted' then it would apply but both live and neutral are 'inserted' so it could be argued it doesn't apply.
My thought is the intention of the reg is the N not be disconnected unless its coordinated with the L being disconnected, as per DP switching. Whereas the drawing allows N to be disconnected when L is continuous.

Reply to Strange 2-way wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock