Discuss Strange RCD Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok....So I'm only coming back to this as Im genuinely stuck with it and for good reason. I am closing my account after this thread but may start up again using another name. As someone mentioned it was a bad move using my company name on a forum where everyone is far superior to you and every post you make it scrutinised in the hope that the OP is a Electrical Trainee or equally unqualified.

Ill ignore all drivel about how "easy" this should be to fix and how embarrassed folk would be visiting multiple times to this fault.

No one can say that without seeing the job. Its all very well solving theoretical faults from a computer but Id welcome anyone to come and subby for me for a day....Find this fault in 1 day Ill pay you 1k.

So...Ive been at it all day and my head hurts! Back on Monday with a fresh head and equipped with 25 RCBOs. Ill post my findings in case anyone sees something obvious Im missing...Im not ashamed to say I can't find it, and also not interested in drivel about how you would find it with ease.

This is a fairly new installation and one would assume all connected properly. The property, or mansion I should call it is very grand. Oak flooring throughout with no access underfloors therefore no way to physically trace the cables.

So, "Narrowed" it down to a "ring" circuit with around 10 sockets. It turns out this is not actually a ring.

Although its belling out (Fluke Test Lamps ) continuity is showing >2000MOhms on all cores (Metrel Test Gear ).
Test lamps are brand new and gear was calibrated last month although with my findings Im questioning whether test gear is working !

Disconnecting every socket in the circuit I Meggered both incoming legs LNE at 1000v, All good. I then Megger each internal leg at 1000v, all good.

I then connect all legs together and megger both sets of cables at the board - 1.1MOhms between all cores.

I measure one leg at a time with full ring connected - all good.

I set the megger up at the board and go through each socket, connecting as I go. I get to the last socket - all good. I connect the last socket forming "ring" and again 1.0Mohms, sometimes 12Mohms.

In 2 radials all good , make it a "ring" and fault occurs.

Now, there is another circuit which is showing an occasional reading of 9Mohms between L>E.

Remember this is only tripping every few days...not banging.

In this newly installed consumer unit, we also have a spare 2.5 floating around which is live and only isolated by switching the 16Amps Immerser breaker on ANOTHER board.

Im thinking that there is a really bizarre fault somewhere or a nasty junction box under the floor, which is not helped by the fact they have confused legs when installing the board. I think a leg of one ring has been mixed up with the immerser and perhaps another leg mixed up with another ring. Obviously not been tested after install. The guy who owned and built the house ran a large building firm. The consumer unit was a mess too, really badly done.

The customer has agreed that RCBOS is a good idea to stop nuisance tripping of all circuits but still, Ill need to find this fault.

A combination of a strange fault and poorly installed and unorganised unit.

Rewiring this circuit is not really an option. New build property, no access under floor, oak flooring everywhere. The house is gigantic. The ring in question is around 20m from the consumer unit.

Next plan of attack is ripping everything out and starting again at the consumer unit installing the RCBOS. Hopefully finding the correct rings will at least make further fault finding easier.

Decorators are in right now firing up wallpaper at likely a few hundred quid per roll. Everything is slow at the job, Carpet socks on and off , working around 5 other trades, while taking great care for the interior of this property most can only dream of.

So anyone up for a bet ? 1k for a days work ?

And please , if you are going to help read my full post before posting "its a N-E fault".

J,. are the decorators using a steam stripper?

Boydy

They were Boydy but not now , I wish it was that simple.

Fault was happening before any work started in the house.

Just more info about customer,

They have just bought this house but still have the old property. They are only visiting the new house during the day at the moment to oversee trades etc. so not living in it. They have a kettle etc and some TVs up but not much more.

Ive suggested going back to the solicitor as this was obviously present before they bought the house but they say the old owner is keeping quite.
I suspect the old owner new all about this fault and simply kept these sockets off rather than wreck the house to rewire the circuit.

and despite what everyone thinks Im actually not daft! , Ive considered all possible scenarios. Its new chipboard floors etc , so jammed cables unlikely. When I say this is an odd one it genuinely is. Im half expecting a dead rat with its jaws wrapped round some 2.5 or something equally bizarre!

So all was well till you fitted refitted the sockets and you have proved the wiring, have you tested IR of the sockets themselves, loose I mean before refitting?

Boydy

With 1 Rcd covering so many circuits and appliances in a large house it doesn't take much with the cumulative effect of the whole installation , RCBOs are a good idea , the only problem is that if the wiring has been installed in such a state , there may be borrowed or shared neutrals especially on lighting , I would test for this and use an earth leakage clamp meter , and also ramp test with each circuit livened 1 at a time , see how you get on !!

So all was well till you fitted refitted the sockets and you have proved the wiring, have you tested IR of the sockets themselves, loose I mean before refitting?

Boydy

I did this with the last socket ( the one that when connected was showing fault )....at this point I Thought I had cracked it but .....no socket was good.

With 1 Rcd covering so many circuits and appliances in a large house it doesn't take much with the cumulative effect of the whole installation , RCBOs are a good idea , the only problem is that if the wiring has been installed in such a state , there may be borrowed or shared neutrals especially on lighting , I would test for this and use an earth leakage clamp meter , and also ramp test with each circuit livened 1 at a time , see how you get on !!

The confused legs a side, the install isn't to bad just a bit messy at the consumer unit ( but maybe someone else has already attempted to find this fault !) I don't think there should be any borrowed neutrals etc as its relatively new with not many alterations.

Don't have Ramp test function

The confused legs a side, the install isn't to bad just a bit messy at the consumer unit ( but maybe someone else has already attempted to find this fault !) I don't think there should be any borrowed neutrals etc as its relatively new with not many alterations.

Don't have Ramp test function

You seriously need that function or else you will be guessing. Just saying

You seriously need that function or else you will be guessing. Just saying
I

Its something Ive never really had to bother with. Its very rare Ill get involved in fault finding but Id promised this particular customer Id have a look at it, now Ive inherited all the problems !

Most of my work is newly installed so faults are relatively easy to find. This one is not !

I can't get my head round why its holding for days then tripping, Im assuming earth leakage is just on the edge...but would ramp test help with this ?

I admire you determination , and I too would be the same , just hope the client knows that ,,,

The client has faith in me, Ive already saved him a few headaches in other trade areas (i.e. TV guys were about to rip of a full floor of tiles, when I showed them a different route) amongst a few other things...Its also the same guy I done the chandeliers for...he knows we are good, but Im getting paranoid he thinks Im trying to fleece him ! Particularly now Im about to bill him for 25 RCBOS.

I

Its something Ive never really had to bother with. Its very rare Ill get involved in fault finding but Id promised this particular customer Id have a look at it, now Ive inherited all the problems !

Most of my work is newly installed so faults are relatively easy to find. This one is not !

I can't get my head round why its holding for days then tripping, Im assuming earth leakage is just on the edge...but wouldramp test help with this ?

EDIT: Admin/The mods may change your name - its been done in the past!

Not sure to be honest BUT if there really are 25 circuits, the muppet who put on 1 RCD really doesn't understand electrics do they? and just imagine what's going to happen with PC's, fridges, microwaves, et al get plugged in.

Ramp testing the RCD would allow you to eliminate the RCD!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure to be honest BUT if there really are 25 circuits, the muppet who put on 1 RCD really doesn't understand electrics do they? and just imagine what's going to happen with PC's, fridges, microwaves, et al get plugged in.

Ramp testing the RCD would allow you to eliminate the RCD!

2 Boards Ray, One non RCD with lighting , one RCD with sockets etc ( 16th edition install )

I can't believe you can't get any takers for a grand for 1 days work don't give up you will sort it eventually and also forget about closing your account you always give as good as you get on your threads and have gained a few supporters . and regarding the customer thinking your fleecing him tell him to aim is frustration at the muppet that put all those circuits on 1 rcd

So its sockets thats the problem , could well be anything in the central heating system causing this , Check that the circuits are not connected together and install the RCBOs , As I stated earlier Ramp test or earth leakage clamp meter is what you need ,,,

jrc, you said in an earlier post that it appeared circuit legs of rfc and immersion has got mixed up. if that's the case, then doing end/end continuity and sorting it out may go a long way to finding the fault.

Reply to Strange RCD Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net