Discuss Strange SWA cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

oldsparky99

I've just moved into a 1960's house and when checking the supply to the detatched garage I came across a strange cable type that I at first thought was SWA. It's 10mm diameter with a black plastic sheath. There is one core of 7 strands with red pvc insulation, 7 strands individually insulated with black pvc and 7 bare strands. The 7 individually insulated strands have all been connected together and used as the neutral. There is no armouring and all conductors are copper. Anyone seen this type of cable before ?

I've just moved into a 1960's house and when checking the supply to the detatched garage I came across a strange cable type that I at first thought was SWA. It's 10mm diameter with a black plastic sheath. There is one core of 7 strands with red pvc insulation, 7 strands individually insulated with black pvc and 7 bare strands. The 7 individually insulated strands have all been connected together and used as the neutral. There is no armouring and all conductors are copper. Anyone seen this type of cable before ?
Concentric cable maybe?

It isn't a common cable to be used on a supply to a dist board but you do come across it. The other type is concentric where the neutral and cpc are combined in one conductor (PEN) and is used by supply companies for TN-C-S supplies, this should not be used in the situation you have.

Split con is awesome cable as it is light and easy to install, unfortunately it is not permitted for many applications. :(

Thanks for your help guys. It's 4mm split concentric. Looks like it was run through a pvc pipe for the buried section between the house and garage and overall seens to be a good job, unlike some other finds in the house like wall light fed with bell wire direct from the back of sockets!

Probably because cant be buried in a wall at a depth of less than 50mm with out mechanical/earthed mechanical protection or metal partition walls if 30mA RCD protection wants to be omitted.[
Yes I suspected this as the answer, I could be wrong but under the 16th Ed this type of cable could be used without additional protection, come the 17th it was omitted from the list.

Yes I suspected this as the answer, I could be wrong but under the 16th Ed this type of cable could be used without additional protection, come the 17th it was omitted from the list.
Yeah same as all the 16mm T&E used to supply thousands of flats across the country which is a bit hard to use now without additional protection or a lot of extra effort to make it comply for the same application. DNO use split con still though buried direct in the ground IIRC :eek:

I can still never work out why the DNO are allowed to bury a split-con from the road to your house when it has no armouring and no RCD protection. I know they don't work to 7671 regs but surely it's quite a hazard. A spade easily goes through it.
Daz

Shhh! Or we will end up with the supply transformers being fitted with 30mA RCDs on their output! The outer earth or earth and neutral surrounding the live core or cores makes it more than safe enough, as you will hit the 0V conductors first.

Reply to Strange SWA cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock