Discuss street lighting help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
got a job on, a park homes. 9 street lights with obsolete SONs. several failed, either lamps or control gear, and can't get replacements, so decided to go for LED alternative. can fit a E27 base and sourced 40watt LED lamps to fit. problem is that these lamps are not compatible with photocell switching according to supplier's research. anyone know of a solution?

individual. top of post is like a translucent bucket with a hat on. photocell is on top of the "hat"

Can't understand why the lamps would not be compatible with photocell switching, what's the difference? We regularly retrofit old SON fittings with britesource corn lamps with no issues.

Can't understand why the lamps would not be compatible with photocell switching, what's the difference? We regularly retrofit old SON fittings with britesource corn lamps with no issues.
wholesaler gotonto supplier and was told the LEDs i was interested in ( 40watt, E27 base) were not compatible with photocells. i've had this before with a couple of 10watt floods.the photocelss will not switch off.

What about bypassing the individuals and putting a photocell near the DB and have the photocell switching the coil of a contactor.
not economical. 7 lights fed from 1 DB via timer. other 2 from a different source.

wholesaler gotonto supplier and was told the LEDs i was interested in ( 40watt, E27 base) were not compatible with photocells. i've had this before with a couple of 10watt floods.the photocelss will not switch off.

I wonder why, surly the photocell switches an internal relay? Maybe in needs a sufficient load, I would be trying one, you may be trying to solve an issue that doesn't exist?

Or find a lamp which is compatible?

thanks, just sent an email to as upplier of those.

Last edited:
then brightsource look OK. 40watt E27, 60/80watt E40. as long as they work with the photocells, that'll do.

We've always used the 100w ones so a larger load, maybe that's why they work with the photocell, you would need confirmation on the 40w ones.

We've always used the 100w ones so a larger load, maybe that's why they work with the photocell, you would need confirmation on the 40w ones.

sent email to supplier. probably get answer tomorrow.

The lanterns described sound very much like the old Thorn 'Gamma 6' type. Do they have to all be on all night Tel or could you bypass the PECs and fit individual decent quality PIRs to each column ? This could be a very 'green' solution. :)

needs to be on all night as it's basically street lighting. residents need to see if anyone's about .

Reply to street lighting help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net