Discuss Streetlighting for first time in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

First question, looking at your profiles you have asome electrical quals why are you down as a DIYer?

I take it you're asking the best way to do it from our experiences not how do you it! We all at sometime install something for the first time.

I have very limited streetlighting experience from long ago. I know how to Install them but this job is more of maintenance role. Would just be interested in people's experiences. Any Info that would be useful would be great

I have very limited streetlighting experience from long ago. I know how to Install them but this job is more of maintenance role. Would just be interested in people's experiences. Any Info that would be useful would be great

Your name says Newbie and you have registered as DIYER as Pete has already stated. Your profile shows you are a fully qualified sparks in scotland....In which case you are selling yourself a bit short to forum members!! :)

I know when a mate fitted some as part of a ev charger job I was involved in, He had to increase his insurance to satisfy the council.also had to have 101 risk assessments in case one fell over on mrs jones doing her shopping. working at height, barriers/cones, etc.. Only fitted 4 lights, they were fed from exisitng run out of the cabinet already in situ so not too difficult.
Do have this pdf which is based on BS:7671 which my mate had to hand during the job, I had a read after to understand more myself. although I have only fitted a couple myself on private land which is not as tedious

Attachments

• street-lighting-design-guide-and-specification.pdf
    466.6 KB · Views: 33
There are many things to consider here, is the roadway close to public highway, is there residential developments nearby? If so light pollution from the new lighting needs to be considered and probably passed by planning authorities.
Then there is the question of cable sizing and protective devices, as cable lengths tend to be long volt drop in the cable can be huge, and inrush from light fitting itself can be very high, this in turn can lead to large cables being installed for a relatively small load.

It all depends what lights are being used and how many, we do a lot of them and they are very strict guidelines that need to be followed but you'll need to contact the local body who will be taking control of them once they are finished to see whay is required

First question, looking at your profiles you have asome electrical quals why are you down as a DIYer?
2nd question what's to disagree with leonard?

Reply to Streetlighting for first time in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock