Discuss String fuses? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wozzit99

Hi

I'm getting confused about the use of string fuses.

In the dti guide 4 or more strings in parallel require string fuses to be used in the design of a system.

In certain sma inverters, for example the tri power tl8000 they already have string fuses built in. There are 4 d/c inputs on this inverter (input A) and 1 d/c input (Input B).

Using pv sol and the inverter above it specifies for the system to work correctly there should be 4 strings of 16 panels connected in parallel.

Do I have to connect the strings in parallel before the inverter therefore needing string fuses or do I take each set of strings back to the inverter where it sorts out the parllel conection inside and protects the strings with string fuses?

Wozzit

Take each string back to the inverter. The 4 inputs on input A are basically paralleled with each other in the inverter so operationally it is the same as 4 paralleled strings on one input, but with the benefit of electronic string fusing.

tripowers have string fuses with electronic monitoring built in
you can also fit class two arrestors for surge/overvoltage or external type 1&2 for lightning/surge/overvoltage
if you have say 4 strings connect to inverter inputs over the two mppt trackers
selecting highest number of modules per string for best inverter effciency
eg - use 4 x 1000vdc padlockable string isolators if dc cables are long

they need to be 1.1/1.25 overrated on voltage/current
or use one multi input string collection boxes / isolators with built in MC3/MC4/Sunclix connectors ( multicontact type iii or iv )
these are made from 2 to 48 strings with MC connectors incomers with MC or cable gland outgoing
class 1&2 arrestors can mount inside the isolators or multi string pv fireman switches with MC connectors with UVR for remote disconnection
quick simple tooless and plug & play

use

Reply to String fuses? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net