Discuss Stripping for fun,or bending over in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Anything that improves a connection is better practice. But more so, anything that improves the "longevity" of the connection is good practice. I got into the habit of "tinning" using solder - fine stranded conductors. Yes this is time consuming, most likely OTT and probably unnecessary for most applications but it ensured a very good reliable connection.
This was a big failure for me with Lead tin solder ...
as it creeps slowly -crushing under "Just Screw" contacts.-
Plug tops ..with less copper strands in fingers! ==FAIL
..May be a different story with lead free...
(but I've wasted enough time in the past --to want repeat mistake again )
-----NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO----
(may get away with sprung contacts -and alarm/entry "washing line"--
as a BT engineer described it)

What sort of theory were you taught at college Dave just asking for a comparison from my time. I did Electro Technology ( from a book that was referred to as HUGHES by the lecturer, Regulations, Maths, Mechanical theory, crikey memories.
I've still got that book.

The one thing most of you have missed is this. Without going into to much detail, but the physical electrical conductor in use into today is not the same as it was 20/30 years ago. The % copper vers aluminium excluding other materials is not the same. Back then you could, if you wish, bent the conductor in three. But today if you bent it, it cracks.

These are the regs regarding fine stranded conductors...

526.9 Connection of multiwire, fine wire and very fine wire conductors

526.9.1 In order to avoid inappropriate separation or spreading of individual wires of multiwire, fine wire or very fine wire conductors, suitable terminals shall be used or the conductor ends shall be suitably treated.
526.9.2 Soldering (tinning) of the whole conductor end of multiwire, fine wire and very fine wire conductors is not permitted if screw terminals are used.
526.9.3 Soldered (tinned) conductor ends on fine wire and very fine wire conductors are not permissible at connection and junction points which are subject in service to a relative movement between the soldered and the non-soldered part of the conductor.

I poke em in tighten up. Then tighten em up a few days later. Might even pop back in few months later and tighten em again. Might make it a yearly thing.

Really. You lot have been reading too many IET comics.

I poke em in tighten up. Then tighten em up a few days later. Might even pop back in few months later and tighten em again. Might make it a yearly thing.

Really. You lot have been reading too many IET comics.
I tried popping back to one of the Banks I’d wired, just to double check everything in the vault.

Reply to Stripping for fun,or bending over in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock