Discuss stroma assessment this week in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All I have my Stroma CP assessment on Wed. I have been looking in the forum and notice a few threads on the health and safety and complaints procedure they have not requested it then I called them should I have one incase and is there any model /templates around .
Wish it was all over its got me stressed
Oh what happy days

Just produce a spreadsheet with a row across the top detailing name address complaint action taken date etc. Put that behind the complaints procedure you have downloaded after your google search.

stroma assessment this week Screenshot 2017-07-04 09.23.05 - EletriciansForums.net

@phil lancaster

I have a fillable Health and Safety Policy and a Risk Assesment form (in MS WORD).
Also the above form in a PDF.

I can try and send to you, if you PM me your email details.

Last edited:
Guys I can not thank you all enough.
what should I be expecting tomorrow at the assessment
phil

A thorough chat about you, your business, your qualifications, your experience. Then a check of all your paperwork, which you can send on if you don't have it on the day, and a pop quiz about this and that.
At your example job they will ask to explain the job, open it up, do some testing.... job's a good 'un.

Hi all I think I am having a mind fart but my installation that I will be assessed on is the following
I ran a supply from the house cu to the shed/summer house then in the shed/summer house I installed a garage consumer unit that has a RCD main switch then 1 lighting curcit 6A and one socket ring curcit 16A
The house consumer unit i fitted a 20RCBO for the 4mm 2core swa cable armour and then the consumer unit in the shed I set up as a TT system .
I have completed 2 sets of paperwork one for the feed house cu to the shed and one for the shed installation the thing I am thinking of is on the Electrical installation cert for the SWA cable under the part supply characteristics I have put the details of the house supply ie main switch location and DNO information.
do I repeat the information on the shed Electrical installation cert for the shed or put the 2oAr RCBO as the main switch or the RCD main switch that is in the shed.
wow I am sorry its long winded
thanks
phil

sorry guys its me again the when I test the RCD main switch in the shed consumer unit the RCBO I have fitted in the house consumer unit that is the feed to the shed trips
what am I doing wrong I know it is a stupid question but my mind I like a washing machine
phil

sorry guys its me again the when I test the RCD main switch in the shed consumer unit the RCBO I have fitted in the house consumer unit that is the feed to the shed trips
what am I doing wrong I know it is a stupid question but my mind I like a washing machine
phil

no discrimination i would say is your problem.

If both rcd/rcbo are rated the same in series then isn't the issue one of which pops first?
Im not the most upto date with house domestic set ups personally, having worked largely in small commercial such as pubs, cafes, chain restaurants, shops etc.. i am slowly taking on more domestic work as i move to self employed.

But im thinking a time delayed rcd or rcbo (they do exist apparently but i am yet to see one actually installed!) at the main CU and you could resolve the tripping problem at the house and instead trip the rcd in the shed in the event of a fault or testing procedure.

Hopefully, somebody better placed will read this and correct any mistakes i have made and explain it better to you.

have a read of this pdf from wiring matters, explains it quite well

Attachments

• 2006_19_summer_wiring_matters_understanding_rcds.pdf
    171.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hi all I think I am having a mind fart but my installation that I will be assessed on is the following
I ran a supply from the house cu to the shed/summer house then in the shed/summer house I installed a garage consumer unit that has a RCD main switch then 1 lighting curcit 6A and one socket ring curcit 16A
The house consumer unit i fitted a 20RCBO for the 4mm 2core swa cable armour and then the consumer unit in the shed I set up as a TT system .
I have completed 2 sets of paperwork one for the feed house cu to the shed and one for the shed installation the thing I am thinking of is on the Electrical installation cert for the SWA cable under the part supply characteristics I have put the details of the house supply ie main switch location and DNO information.
do I repeat the information on the shed Electrical installation cert for the shed or put the 2oAr RCBO as the main switch or the RCD main switch that is in the shed.
wow I am sorry its long winded
thanks
phil
If you have installed swa all the way from the house cu to supply your shed just protect it with an mcb and not an rcbo
At the moment you have 2 rcds in series, that is im assuming they are both rated 30mA?

If you have installed swa all the way from the house cu to supply your shed just protect it with an mcb and not an rcbo
At the moment you have 2 rcds in series, that is im assuming they are both rated 30mA?

From his posts i think his set up is as follows - at house CU 20Amp RCBO (assuming 30mA) - then 4MM 2 Core SWA to shed CU, Shed CU set up as TT system with a RCD i am assuming is 30mA

I am assuming he has connected the armour to earth at the house end.

I did wonder why he had a rcbo at the house end and not just a mcb feeding the shed CU.

From his posts i think his set up is as follows - at house CU 20Amp RCBO (assuming 30mA) - then 4MM 2 Core SWA to shed CU, Shed CU set up as TT system with a RCD i am assuming is 30mA

I am assuming he has connected the armour to earth at the house end.

I did wonder why he had a rcbo at the house end and not just a mcb feeding the shed CU.
Yeah his distribution circuit to shed doesn't need rcd protection

mmm ok
in the house consumer unit I have fitted a 20RCBO to the swa cable the swa cable runs to the shed into a metal garage consumer unit in the consumer unit there is a 40RCD main switch then a 6 amp mcb and a 16a RCD then I try to test the RCD main switch for the tripping time for the inst cert the house rcbo trip
I hope someone can help out as I have my CP assessment at 10 tomorrow
thanks

mmm ok
in the house consumer unit I have fitted a 20RCBO to the swa cable the swa cable runs to the shed into a metal garage consumer unit in the consumer unit there is a 40RCD main switch then a 6 amp mcb and a 16a RCD then I try to test the RCD main switch for the tripping time for the inst cert the house rcbo trip
thanks
If you have made the shed a TT how have you isolated the armour from the supply swa if you've glanded into a metal db first?

Assuming you have a TN earthing system and fault protection is provided by an mcb and none of the circuit is contained in a wall without earth containment which the swa would provide ditch the rcbo it is not required.

Hi in the shed I screwed the swa gland into a plastic through box and connected the plastic through box to the bottom of the metal consumer unit in the shed that was so as not to incorporate the house earth
phil

mmm ok
thanks
Am i seeing something i shouldn't here
House = 20 amp RCBO
Shed 4oamp RCD main Switch
Shed 16 Amp RCD (assume for socket radial?)
Again assuming all are 30mA

so RCBO ----->RCD ---->RCD

Sounds like rock, paper and scissors which one goes first along the line?

To the OP i would go look up discrimination between RCD's connected in series. if they are both rated same (30mA?) then the issue is which one trips first when you test them or in fault conditions. especially if one is very sensitive,

You might want to put a warning notice on the enclosure, "contains different earth bla bla bla ", they like all that.

Am i seeing something i shouldn't here
House = 20 amp RCBO
Shed 4oamp RCD main Switch
Shed 16 Amp RCD (assume for socket radial?)
Again assuming all are 30mA

so RCBO ----->RCD ---->RCD

Sounds like rock, paper and scissors which one goes first along the line?
Don't think the 16A is an rcd, but yes.

Hi in the shed I screwed the swa gland into a plastic through box and connected the plastic through box to the bottom of the metal consumer unit in the shed that was so as not to incorporate the house earth
phil
Do away with rcbo change for mcb and your garage lights and sockets will be in its own rcd

Reply to stroma assessment this week in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock