Discuss Stroma in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hellmooth

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Decided to look into going with Stroma, had a look online and decided to fill out the application, I thought it would just be basic details to allow someone to call me and have a chat etc.........I filled it out and all I got was an invoice asking me to pay £288 before anything could proceed! Is this the way they work? Surely someone should call and ask my details and qualifications etc to see if I am suitable?!

I joined Stroma this year - I called them and then exchanged a few emails to ensure things went smoothly.

Is this your "1st" scheme, or are you leaving another one?

Im also seriously considering binning the nic this year for stroma, ill be switching schemes are they ok to do that? I know some of the others do

is there any extra costs to be assessed for commercial work and eicrs too or is it still £288?

This is my first time!

Thought it would be a bit more personal, although I know it's all about money, I still expected someone to call and try and sell me it lol, not just send an invoice saying pay here!

decided to look into going with stroma, had a look online and decided to fill out the application, i thought it would just be basic details to allow someone to call me and have a chat etc.........i filled it out and all i got was an invoice asking me to pay £288 before anything could proceed! Is this the way they work? Surely someone should call and ask my details and qualifications etc to see if i am suitable?!
,who??

what we need is a boycott of all these money grabbing scams. no use a few of us complaining. all sparks should refuse to join. tell LABC to do one as regards notification unless they will accept a cert. provided by a qualified electrician, not some Electrical Trainee. who's paid a scam.

I've always been against them, I've spoken to building control where I am and they don't care about General Electrical work as long as it isn't changing the fabric of the building, that was the guys words! As long as the certificates and calibrations of test equipment are there with qualifications to back it up and insurances in place, he said himself what are they going to do about it, and why would they get involved anyway?

The reason I am looking to join is to do with work I am picking up requiring it, have started tendering for work with an architect and they look for it, also spoke subby work I was looking at was asking for it!

I'm not going to reply to the email I will wait for a call, just shows how bad they really are!

And no they wouldn't knock you back after the money is paid, sad really though that I have to pay money up front when I haven't even spoken to anyone or been told what is involved!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the concept of the schemes. The problem is how the criteria for admission to them is implemented, and, from what I can gather, how they deal with applicants who fall short and should not really be allowed in. I moved over to Stroma this year and to be honest the assessor (a contractor) was an idiot. We had quite a difference of opinion on many issues, and I was pretty close to booting him out at a couple of points. He went away with a couple of "non conformities" and I was fired up for defending my corner and having what I thought might be a barney with them, but nothing came of it and I was just sent all the documentation. Having said that, he did ask some fairly searching questions (as did my previous NAPIT guy), and I can' really see how someone with no previous electrical experience who has been on a 5 week course could possibly get through the assessment. Are these Electrical Trainee a reality or just a figment of some people's imagination? I can't imagine how anyone who does not have the knowledge or confidence to do the job properly could actually cut it out in the real world, but this might be just the way I try to approach things, I guess some people don't give a t**s? Most of my work is now obtained by word of mouth and repeat customers, I hardly advertise at all. Surely anyone who had only done a 5 week course would not survive??

I don't think there is anything wrong with the concept of the schemes. The problem is how the criteria for admission to them is implemented, and, from what I can gather, how they deal with applicants who fall short and should not really be allowed in. I moved over to Stroma this year and to be honest the assessor (a contractor) was an idiot. We had quite a difference of opinion on many issues, and I was pretty close to booting him out at a couple of points. He went away with a couple of "non conformities" and I was fired up for defending my corner and having what I thought might be a barney with them, but nothing came of it and I was just sent all the documentation. Having said that, he did ask some fairly searching questions (as did my previous NAPIT guy), and I can' really see how someone with no previous electrical experience who has been on a 5 week course could possibly get through the assessment. Are these Electrical Trainee a reality or just a figment of some people's imagination? I can't imagine how anyone who does not have the knowledge or confidence to do the job properly could actually cut it out in the real world, but this might be just the way I try to approach things, I guess some people don't give a t**s? Most of my work is now obtained by word of mouth and repeat customers, I hardly advertise at all. Surely anyone who had only done a 5 week course would not survive??
Here we go again i am based in west lancs incorporating wigan council as well .i am now not in a scheme ,all I do is issue a iet model form ,not a problem 9 times out of 10. If they ask if I am in a scheme I just email my quals and they always accept it this way

Here we go again i am based in west lancs incorporating wigan council as well .i am now not in a scheme ,all I do is issue a iet model form ,not a problem 9 times out of 10. If they ask if I am in a scheme I just email my quals and they always accept it this way

^^ and that is the way it should be for everybody.... Amen.

I have always just certified my work, I even do work for estate agents and they don't ask about schemes, the work needs to be done to a standard that is safe and fit for purpose, schemes do not make anything safe or fit for purpose, pretty much anyone can join, they can notify work that isn't up to scratch or doesn't meet regulations but it is still deemed to be the proper way?

but that does not stop any Tom dick or Harry doing the same does it? The people at the council don't know one qualification from the next, so you could have any untrained person sending in an IET form full of crap to a pencil squeezer in the council, that is why the schemes were introduced. It is the way people are admitted to them that is the problem. They should be strict on their admission policies and then charge another £200 for a re-application, so they weed out the people who should not be admitted in the first place. I have heard of guys who have not even had the right quals who have been let in on the basis that they "attend to the non conformity in due course", that's the problem.

but that does not stop any Tom dick or Harry doing the same does it? The people at the council don't know one qualification from the next, so you could have any untrained person sending in an IET form full of crap to a pencil squeezer in the council, that is why the schemes were introduced. It is the way people are admitted to them that is the problem. They should be strict on their admission policies and then charge another £200 for a re-application, so they weed out the people who should not be admitted in the first place. I have heard of guys who have not even had the right quals who have been let in on the basis that they "attend to the non conformity in due course", that's the problem.
I always find that BC DO understand qualifications ,on the rare occasion there is a problem my 2391 lets me get away with it

I'm clearly missing something here, if you are in Scotland where there is no part p, why do you need to join a part p scheme, and why would an architect require you to ?

Reply to Stroma in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net