Discuss Stuck on light fixture! Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I know little about electricals apart from wiring a plug! It's something I've wanted to always learn even just the basics so I am grateful for any advice.

I've had a 3 bulb ceiling light fixture for a few weeks now. I cannot for the life of me figure it out. It's old wiring so its the black and blue and a striped earth. The new fixture is the modern blue and brown wires.

There was also an existing cable there in a grey cable. It's thicker than the others. There's 2 light switches. One at the bottom of stairs and one at the top of the stairs. I just want all 3 lights to come on and off with either switch as right now I can only get one to light and the switches don't respond! :D

I got no idea how to wire it into the little block that came with it correctly lol!

View attachment 35992

View attachment 35993

Yes it will be difficult to give advice for you correctly connect it in a safe way. Those fittings are notoriously difficult to install in a compliant manner, get an electrician out shouldn't be a huge outlay.

Okay mate, first things first - it looks like what you may have there is a borrowed neutral. My best advice is isolate your board by the main switch and get a spark out. (Seriously, borrowed neutrals have killed unsuspecting folks)
Why would it be a borrowed neutral? Could be just a looped neutral between roses. I know they are of a different cable type but that does not say it is borrowed. But indeed it does require identifying. As it could well be any form of conductor, without testing a picture will not tell.

Why would it be a borrowed neutral? Could be just a looped neutral between roses. I know they are of a different cable type but that does not say it is borrowed. But indeed it does require identifying. As it could well be any form of conductor, without testing a picture will not tell.

I didn't say it was, I said it may be -because it may be. Lots of borrowed neutrals done in singles means cause for concern.

The advice you've received from @westward10 and @hightower is good. If you're near Newport or Cardiff, drop me a PM with your number and I'll give you a call to arrange a visit and if you're not let us know where you are as another member may be able to help.

I didn't say it was, I said it may be -because it may be. Lots of borrowed neutrals done in singles means cause for concern.
Lots of all sorts done in singles my friend. But your are correct saying it should be established what it is doing. Not really a DIY jobbie though!

My Question, did you take the light fitting down?, where was the single conductor connected too.? As said could be loop feed N L, shared N even E, need to get an Electrician to establish.

Reply to Stuck on light fixture! Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock