Discuss Stud Detector recommendation in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

podmore78

Hi Guys

My colleague and I are currently looking to purchase a new stud detector but at the moment are struggling to find one that will detect stud, and cables through plaster skim and concrete.
Could anyone help with recommending a detector they use that will pick up stud, conduit and cables through concrete and plaster please?

Thanks

Can't actually find it in stock in the UK but it's a couple of hundred.

Bosch do something similar I think about 60-80 but not sure it's radar.

With your exception of very expensive equipment , I do not think that anyone will answer this question with the general equipment available. They are hity missy at best.
I may be wrong though , they may have improved since I gave up on them.

With your exception of very expensive equipment , I do not think that anyone will answer this question with the general equipment available. They are hity missy at best.
I may be wrong though , they may have improved since I gave up on them.
What's your method?

Great care , investigation and likelihood of anything being there.
Evidence of disturbance and proximity of services .
Then gentle probing to remove the surface.
Tapping the wall and noting the change of sound gives a clue too. But it will obviously not tell you what is there.

If it is an industrial or commercial job there should be detailed plans.

for studs have a strong magnet, slide it over the wall or ceiling it should catch up to the screws holding drywall to the stud.

common sense and safe zones for cables.
Lol , and with today's standards you can usually see the taped joints and the popped nail/screw heads.

My Bosch D-tect 120 is a lot better than a previous £50 Bosch. Different technology:

Bosch DTECT120 Radar Wall Scanner in carton - http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Bosch-Dtect120-3165140780063-Radar-Wall-Scanner-In-Carton

It will run on AA batteries or the Bosch specific rechargeable pack.

Bosch also do ones using the same technology which will actually show a 'picture' of what's in the wall, but they're bigger and I didn't think that the extra capability was worth it.

Does it work well?

Reply to Stud Detector recommendation in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net