Discuss Student begging for advice again... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Edtwozeronine

-
Arms
Reaction score
In my design project it's asking me for an example of switching for mechanical maintenance "relating to devices which are not under effective control." What on earth does that mean?

If it's not something you can turn on and off with an isolator switch and lock, what are they talking about?

The second part of the question I've chosen to answer with "A 2 pole enclosed non-fused isolator switch is probably used in the pool and pump equipment area so that one could safely isolate a pump in order to change or clean a water filter." The question being "Switching for mechanical maintenance relating to switching capability."

In my design project it's asking me for an example of switching for mechanical maintenance "relating to devices which are not under effective control." What on earth does that mean?

If it's not something you can turn on and off with an isolator switch and lock, what are they talking about?
BS7671 Page 155 Regulation 537.3

The second part of the question I've chosen to answer with "A 2 pole enclosed non-fused isolator switch is probably used in the pool and pump equipment area so that one could safely isolate a pump in order to change or clean a water filter." The question being "Switching for mechanical maintenance relating to switching capability."

Off load isolation only...

You mean i'd have to turn off the main switch before the isolation lock off switch?

Most motor isolators when the motor gets to a sufficient size can't make or break the locked rotor current of a motor.

The handles for these should be grey/black, where as isolators capable of making/breaking the full locked rotor current safely should be coloured red/yellow

Edit: If you are currently a trainee, ask one of the mod's on here for access to the trainees lounge.

You mean I'd have to turn off the main switch before the isolation lock off switch?
Depends on the type of switch, whether it can be operated on load, shut the machine down, carry out safe isolation, lock off, carry out maintenance on the machine, job done.

You seem to have to give too many personal details to get access to the trainees/students lounge. :confused:
All details you provide in the trainee access section can only be seen by yourself and staff, we have a strict privacy policy and these details are not shared with anyone else or any third parties, we have to ensure anyone we let in the Trainee section is a genuine trainee and not trying to gain access for other motives, this is why we are strict require full details of yourself and course work so we can confirm you are who you say you are by confirming with your training course.

If you are worried about your personal details then don't be, we have successfully run the Trainee Section for many years without any issues regarding privacy, to note giving your details is an application to gain entry, you will be assessed to see if your course and its duration is suitable to give access and if your details check out fine.

we have to ensure anyone we let in the Trainee section is a genuine trainee and not trying to gain access for other motives, this is why we are strict require full details of yourself and course work so we can confirm you are who you say you are by confirming with your training course.

Glad to hear that @darkwood , far too many dodgy folk out there on internet fleecing people with no good study materials or paid for information and other ill intent taking advantage of people trying to move ahead in the trade.

What design project / course are you doing ?

Level 3 Electrical Installations Diploma, after which ideally I'd go into the workplace proper. The issue with this is A. I'm no spring chicken and B. I don't know anybody in the trade or for that matter electrical related companies in the Newport South Wales area. Although I'm up for Cardiff or Bristol areas if there's more chance of finding work.

Reply to Student begging for advice again... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock