Discuss Student House PIR in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electromonkey

Here's a few snaps from a PIR I did last week.

You might be surprised to know that I concluded that it was "unsatisfactory" and recommended a complete re wire. I could have put another 20 photos on here as it was one of the worst installations I have ever seen.

There were mouse droppings all over the house and loads of nibble marks on cables. The worst one I took a photo of.

My favourite I think though is the socket that has been used as a JB under the floorboards where incorrect cable sizes were used, it ran from a spur in to another spur and to aid the fire risk, it was propped up on a cardboard shoe box!

Attachments

• PIR1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 104
  • PIR2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 100
  • PIR3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 106
  • PIR4.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 104
  • PIR5.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 102
Wow that's pretty bad! I don't know how anyone could sleep at night leaving electrics like that, good idea just to plug a power shower in though saves loads of time running cable ha ha. Thanks for the pics

There were mouse droppings all over the house and loads of nibble marks on cables.

These students sure get up to some strange practices :chef::15:

Pity there isn't an avenue for retrospective prosecution for us to instigate

Wow that's pretty bad! I don't know how anyone could sleep at night leaving electrics like that, good idea just to plug a power shower in though saves loads of time running cable ha ha. Thanks for the pics

Although you think its unsatisfactory I think it was rather clever writing the label for the power shower!!! Cant think of the reg off the top of my head.:dizzy2:

At least they used some earth sheathing on the socket/JB, wouldn't want an exposed CPC under the floorboard!

Last edited by a moderator:
thats part of the problem Requirement for a PIR to be carried out but how many times have you done a PIR reported 3 sheets of stuff and never had a call back to repair

thats part of the problem Requirement for a PIR to be carried out but how many times have you done a PIR reported 3 sheets of stuff and never had a call back to repair

This is maybe a little naughty I know but when I get a rental that is in a poor state like this one I imply that the findings are notifiable so it's in their best interests to get sorted. If I get the work or not is another matter.

Out of curiosity, if you find issues like the ones above do you isolate them from the circuit?

Reply to Student House PIR in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net