Discuss Stupid builders........ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Leesparkykent

Esteemed
Reaction score
Been doing a barn conversion/extension at a builders house I do work for. All the ceilings are vaulted/exposed oak beams....The builder boarded, insulated and tiled the roof from the outside leaving the beams exposed. Instead of getting me in to put the switch drops in from the chandelier positions or even running them in himself he just cracked on. After a few discussions it was decided that id use a bit of bare 2L1.5 p clipped up the side of the beams... get there today and the builder has mangled the MICC either end by twisting them up out the way to such an extent that its split the sheath. Got to now replace all 3 drops, all the walls have been plastered/boarded or put in a horrible joint somewhere. He was warned to be careful with the MICC.....In one ear and out the other!

Ffs it does your head in mind you if he had pulled the cables they would of probley been in 2.5 with about 10mm of cable left for you to terminate!!! So have now got to chase put the walls or are you now going to clip th e micc surface on the walls aswell ?

Ffs it does your head in mind you if he had pulled the cables they would of probley been in 2.5 with about 10mm of cable left for you to terminate!!! So have now got to chase put the walls or are you now going to clip th e micc surface on the walls aswell ?
Yeah probably every builder loves a bit of 2.5 for lighting lol. There stud walls but still going to be a PITA...I made a real effort to dress them in neatly as all on show and now got to to come back out....I hate doing things twice :mad:.

View attachment 35406

Builders dont please

This builder i know had work done in his shed/office anyway he told me have problem with rcd. Went there all earths romoved from earth bar anyway tested the office found dead between earth and neutral. Asked him how long earths been disconnected he said 2 years, could not believe it. Sharp exit told him got another job have to go.

Feel for you there Lee, its the impatient world we live in. Typical carpenter and tiler not thinking two steps ahead, when i have to put stuff right due to an idiot not listening i just butcher the walls to make my life easier. Everyone moans at us for making a mess but half the time were putting others mistakes right!

Feel for you there Lee, its the impatient world we live in. Typical carpenter and tiler not thinking two steps ahead, when i have to put stuff right due to an idiot not listening i just butcher the walls to make my life easier. Everyone moans at us for making a mess but half the time were putting others mistakes right!
Yeah I've got another job ATM that has about 150 downlights and the tacker has managed to trap a good 15 of the downlights between the joist and board. Obviously I've had to make a few holes and the site agent has got the hump with me over it........work that one out.

Yeah I've got another job ATM that has about 150 downlights and the tacker has managed to trap a good 15 of the downlights between the joist and board. Obviously I've had to make a few holes and the site agent has got the hump with me over it........work that one out.

Had the same back in August, wired 80 downlights downstairs, all clipped and coiled into position (dimensions taken down). Dryliner insulated the ceiling and didnt pull through the cable, i had fun trying to fit my hands in a 74mm hole. According to him i should have followed behind him and pulled them through........Yeah mate Jog ON

How the hell did they split the sheath.

Its an epardemic ....You tell them one thing they agree they go ahead and do what you don't want. Through no fault of m,y own I was left with some wago's exposed because of change of wall lights ..Oversize box lid i thought was the answer It would hide /protect the wagos and when painted the shade would have covered the plastic and no one none the wiser ...Oh I'll just fill it builder says NO WAY I tell him ....Explain about water in the filler and rcd's detecting shorts ect ....He agree's Come back next day a little later than the builder ....lo and behold FILLER OVER MY BARE WAGOS Of courser it trips out my Temp RCD .....I was livid ....Just as I'm sure the OP was ...We are sparks we can see the pitfalls etc of what STUPID BUILDERS will do ....we are fortune tellers ...WHY WON'T THEY LISTEN
30 odd years o0f doing this I can see pitfalls/situations before they can happen Oh how I wish I wasn't right 99% of the time ....But I am You just know and can see what will happen .

I've had to bite my tongue a little on this one as the same builder has just given me a new build manor house with 47K worth of leccy going in :)

I did a new build with loads of sockets in each room. Metal back boxes. After the boarders and plasterers had been in, second fit and it took a while to dawn why every ring final was open. Mysterious bulges in the plasterboard revealed three "entombed" sockets which they just boarded over.

Had the same back in August, wired 80 downlights downstairs, all clipped and coiled into position (dimensions taken down). Dryliner insulated the ceiling and didnt pull through the cable, i had fun trying to fit my hands in a 74mm hole. According to him i should have followed behind him and pulled them through........Yeah mate Jog ON
Same happened, and I had to get the "lady" of the house-build up my stepladder because she was the only one with small enough hands to turf about above the PB through 73mm openings! 3M high ceilings they were too !

Last edited:
Wired a kitchen for a builder last week. Would of been a nice easy job if the new units and worktops weren't already fitted!

Get this one.......went to look at a flat rewire last week that had already been started. Turned out it had already been wired, second fixed, plastered and mist coated........Only problem was none of the cables were in the walls! They were swinging in the wind in front of the newly plastered and mist coated walls, none of the boxes were chased/fixed in to position either o_O

Reply to Stupid builders........ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock