Discuss Stupid positioning of consumer units... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Called by a customer yesterday as the cover on the consumer unit has come off and they were panicking. Agreed to call in this morning.
Its a new build house, the consumer unit is located immediately adjacent to the side door. When it opens the door handle/ lock bangs into the cover.
Over time it has become dented and eventually the left screw has come loose and the cover popped off. BG boards are prone to having a tight or misaligned cover at the best of times.
Surely the original electricians must have thought about where they were putting it?
It seems these days more and more of them are put in daft places in the middle of a hall way wall or by a door sticking out rather than out of sight in a cupboard.
Whats the most stupid or strange place you have come across a consumer unit new or old?
Have come across one immediately above a bath tub and shower before, suffice to say it was an immediate C1.

Have come across one immediately above a bath tub and shower before, suffice to say it was an immediate C1.
C2.

Sorry I had to say it . If I hadn't someone else would have.

I hope I haven't turned this thread into an argument over EICR coding.

Keep to the cu possitioning as it's interesting enough.

Part M plays its part in these daft locations ..........
Yes it does, and it is poor interpretation of it that causes people to put the new ones in silly places. Although we cant blame Part M for just plain ignorance and stupidity. who in there right mind thinks a consumer unit sticking out of the middle of a hallway wall looks good? At least put it in a cupboard somewhere.

C2.

Sorry I had to say it . If I hadn't someone else would have.

I hope I haven't turned this thread into an argument over EICR coding.

Keep to the cu possitioning as it's interesting enough.
I say C1 When in the bath tub by the shower head, the consumer unit was approximately a foot and half from your head! when washing your head or hair there was every chance you would spray water into the consumer unit. It was also possible given its position that somebody might also touch it when in the shower. So not ideal.
The previous owners had moved the rooms around and put an ensuite in the old cupboard. hence the strange positioning

Several BT exchanges I've worked in have DBs 10' up a fall for no reason whatsoever...

Not no much bad position,but I went and viewed a job recently,lady wanted her bathroom redoing UFH, heated mirror new fan etc, no probs I say can have a quick look at the consumer unit? Tells me she’s recently had a new one fitted..... this flat I’m in consists of a kitchen,shower room,living room and 1 bedroom it’s tiny, the new consumer unit is an MK 15 way dual rcd board with 3 mcbs (lights,rfc and kitchen rfc) and 9 blanks.......electricians told her that’s to meet the regs?

I was asked to move a fuse board that was in the corner of a utility room, inside the base unit cupboard.
Needed to take door off just to reach in and pull a fuse.

I was asked to move a fuse board that was in the corner of a utility room, inside the base unit cupboard.
Needed to take door off just to reach in and pull a fuse.

Had one underneath a bath once, was a HMO and rooms had been adapted accordingly.

Also not quite on topic but was witing a retail unit, DB position had been agreed on first day of the job. 2 days before handover was asked (actually told) it had to be moved as it would interfere with the disabled toilet wall, told the builder in no incertain terms to do one. Strangly enough they managed to find a few walls to move instead to make it all fit.

Sorry but this is house bashers for you most NOT ALL are just installers "that's where it shows on the drawing" is it not a stud wall? if so maybe a recessed consumer unit is needed.
And a door stop.
Did think about recessing it into the wall as it is a stud wall. But customer is happy leaving it there and use a small door stop on the skirting to stop door close to hinge end and prevent future impact.

Reply to Stupid positioning of consumer units... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net