Discuss Stupid question about RCDs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rocker

If we have a double pole RCD which is, let's say 30mA 80A, will it trip in an overload situation above 80A in a similar manner to an 80A incomer? Or is it just 'rated' at 80A in the same way a switch may be rated at 6A or whatever?

I'm sure it's a dumb question that I should know the answer to nut I'm just trying to work out why RCBOs are RCBOs when RCDs have current ratings anyway......

Well isn't each rcd and mcb set at a setting above its stated amount like a 32A could hold 33A but for the regs sack they stat a set limit?

for a type b its 5xin for auto disconnection (which if you divided by voltage will give you zs without having to look in brb) and 1.45xin for overload.

If its rated at 80A thats the maximum safe current it will handle before meltdown.

So if (for what ever reason) more than 80A goes across the device will the meltdown leave the connection open or closed? I was about to ask 'are they designed to go open circuit under these conditions?' but then we're into RCBO territory. So presumably they may be either open or closed depending on the way the meltdown affected it. Would that be a fair assumption?

Reply to Stupid question about RCDs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I'm obviously still new and learning about what I can and cannot do, but essentially I want to install an EVSE at my own house for an electric...
Replies
Views
Hello! I've been racking my brain this evening about some RCD selections. I've been doing some work for a solar installer, and they've asked me...
Replies
Views
Hi, Because of the recent epidemics of so called experts with absolutely no proper qualification, nor knowledge, I'm forced to learn more on the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Was wondering if anyone has come across this before and could maybe help - Its a new one to me! Customer recently altered layout of...
Replies
Views
I'm currently just at the start of my electrical training so please excuse what may be a dumb question. It's a few weeks till I'm back at college...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock