Discuss Stupid stupid stupud customers. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm just hoping it was a lesson learned. You can shout at the customer all you want but if you didn't lock-off or disconnect you're going to have more bad days in the future and they could be worse than this one.

I'm just hoping it was a lesson learned. You can shout at the customer all you want but if you didn't lock-off or disconnect you're going to have more bad days in the future and they could be worse than this one.
I agree.
The sites I go to are industrial.
Lock off tag out rules, man.
You'd be permanently banned from site if you didn't adhere to them.

My dictionary defines it as death by electric shock, derived from the words 'electric' and 'execution'

It was originally used to describe that particular method of carrying out a death sentence and then moved in to more common use.

Yep that's what my Geordie dictionary defines it as too so it MUST be right!!! :)

Before tonight's thread the OP had not posted for nearly three years... what's the bets he leaves it a similar time before he posts again ?

I still use it when I Google something but I've seen some canny wind ups on there as well!

But here is another link not from Wiki:

electrocute: definition of electrocute in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)

Lots of others but I found this interesting:

While the term electrocute was originally coined in 1889¹ to mean execution by electric shock, its meaning has evolved over time: first to also include accidental death by electric shock and later to include electrical injury,² generally serious in nature.

Language evolves.......
Enough.....

could have been much worse, geordie. it could have happened to me or you.

The only time it happened to me was when I got caught by a borrowed neutral.

It was in a foundry and I was working on the DB which was all nicely isolated and dead when I tested it.

However there was a small office in the corner of the shop which somebody had rigged-up a light in and took the feed from something that was not on the board I was working on and the neutral from something that WAS on the board I was working on.

When I tested, there was no one in the office and the light was off so it tested dead, but while I was working on it somebody went into the office & switched the light on and I was shot off the ladder into a pile of scrap metal

I still have the scars and back problems even now.

I'm lost by the entire thing...sockets off when working at lights? Safe Isolation the first thing I was taught as an apprentice. Trust no one with your life, OP should be thankful neither he nor the apprentice are dead. Take it as a lesson learned to get back to basics imo!

I'm lost by the entire thing...sockets off when working at lights? Safe Isolation the first thing I was taught as an apprentice. Trust no one with your life, OP should be thankful neither he nor the apprentice are dead. Take it as a lesson learned to get back to basics imo!
what im curious about is, if it is only 10' off the ground why are you not using fibreglass steps or a fibreglass ladder?

I find it quite interesting that there is a mix of posts. Some saying your an idiot and we have no sympathy because you should have used safe isolation. And then there's the go and smash the lights if you don't get paid posts.

I always check for power even if I know it's locked off. A couple of years ago Myself and another were working in a house that had been converted into 4 flats. We had the board isolated and were changing all the white accessory's for chrome. I was working away when there was a shout and swearing from the next room, he had got a shock. When we investigated we discovered the socket was still wired into the flat next door.

Did you know the OP pat tests ?? No ??
Next time you watch the green mile look closely at old sparky.
The green label was put there by !! You guessed. :dunce2:

Deleting the opening post is great but it doesn't help when it's been quoted in the replies that follow.

I can only assume you had second thoughts about the thread so I'll close it for you.

Reply to Stupid stupid stupud customers. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net