Discuss Subby work finding tips in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Skyba

Hi all,

I'm a spark who is still classed as an improver because I'm just waiting for my portfolio to be signed off.

I recently moved to Bristol from Cornwall to find work because its almost impossible in Cornwall, I was hoping to get a job on the books but ended up being forced into subby work and getting registered as self employed.
So far I've been lucky and have been on the same big site since April but today I got the dreaded call and was told I have till Friday as they've basically sacked all improvers and mates.
I kinda knew this was coming so I've been looking around for sites that look like they're popping up and digging around to find out who the main contractors are and then phoning around and getting the electrical contractors details and then finding out from them about work that's available and if its direct or an agency.

I'm all very new to this and could do with some advice on how other people approach it and also if there's anywhere I can get information from about future jobs that are being tendered so I can get an even bigger head start.

Any tips at all will be massively helpful

Cheers

Dan

speaking purely from my own experience i always find it more productive to speak directly to potential employers and a call to confirm they recieved yoour cv can often get it to the top of the pile. keep in touch with your previous colleagues as they may know of openings on sites their on.

As far as getting a heads up on future work check your local councils planning applications and they will often provide details of their own contracts which have gone out to tender. looking further ahead keep an eye on brownfield sites ect that have recently been sold.

keep plugging away and good luck

Hi all,

I'm a spark who is still classed as an improver because I'm just waiting for my portfolio to be signed off.

I recently moved to Bristol from Cornwall to find work because its almost impossible in Cornwall, I was hoping to get a job on the books but ended up being forced into subby work and getting registered as self employed.
So far I've been lucky and have been on the same big site since April but today I got the dreaded call and was told I have till Friday as they've basically sacked all improvers and mates.
I kinda knew this was coming so I've been looking around for sites that look like they're popping up and digging around to find out who the main contractors are and then phoning around and getting the electrical contractors details and then finding out from them about work that's available and if its direct or an agency.

I'm all very new to this and could do with some advice on how other people approach it and also if there's anywhere I can get information from about future jobs that are being tendered so I can get an even bigger head start.

Any tips at all will be massively helpful

Cheers

Dan

That's what I did. Just keep plugging away and someone will give you a start.

Good luck. I've just got out of that malarky and got on the books with the council.

Try the Southmead hospital site dude. and get your portfolio signed off and sent in!

Lol this is the site I've been on since April it's coming to an end now pretty much everyone is second fixing, sky blue have their people and I did work for them for a bit and it wasn't a happy experience. then I went over to cf Roberts and have really enjoyed working for them even though the money wasn't as good. Only problem is their top man in charge of this site doesn't like anyone who isn't a spark second fixing and then they went and subbed out all the second fix work to a company that was doing some of the the apex wiring work for them.

Adam the project manager has said he'll do me a personal letter of recommendation for me as I've not got much experience on big sites and it tends to put people off.

Reply to Subby work finding tips in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock