• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Subcontractor for data cabling (Midlands) in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'll try to keep this short as I don't really want to open up to a big discussion, but I'm looking for advice on obtaining a subcontractor for mostly data cabling work.

One question is regarding the certification required, if any, for low voltage or data cabling (and also the definition of "low voltage") but this requires more research on my part and I will post a separate question about this if I can't find my answers, which I suspect will be on this site already.

But regardless of legality or certification, I need someone who knows what they're doing with routing cables neatly in a home and small business environment. I'd need someone who is patient with regard to contract and payment terms and that sort of thing due to this being a startup. Jobs will be small enough that payment can be absolutely guaranteed, even up front if need be. If you want to throw your hat in here and now, that's great, but the purpose of this post is to seek advice on where to find reliable subcontractors, not ask for them directly.

As this is a small start-up type situation, I would not necessarily require bucketloads of experience or references. My plan is to start by getting any applicant to data-cable my house, sort of as a test. Fully paid, of course - I've dealt with "that guy" in the tech world, and have NO interest in becoming him!

This isn't an "I have a dream" moment, this is really happening one way or another. I left my job, I have funds, and my business plan is being reviewed. However, finding such a contractor is new territory for me, this is literally my first port of call. Any help at all, be it advice for websites or ways to go about this in person, will be most welcome.

Low voltage will need you normal testing and certification.

Data I doubt it, not being low voltage it wont need any sort of electrical integrity tests but it will still need to be installed correctly in respect to fire standards/escape routes I would have thought. I personally have never come across any data outfit issuing anything.

Loads of guys (1 girl) on here that will be able to do what you are asking.

You see, that's why I'm here. I thought "Low voltage" and data were effectively the same thing. I'll put another post about that in a different subforum so it doesn't become the topic of this post. As for the contractor thing, by all means, anyone interested please get in touch. I'm not sure of the right protocol on this site, but if you send me a message I'm sure we can exchange contact information.

I thought there would be some sort of method to find subcontractors which was different from the methods of finding a guy to do a single job, but the more I think about it, the less sense this makes, unless I'm trying to build a new housing estate. I have tried subcontractorsuk but their site is DISMAL. Barely seems to load, and won't let me register.

I'm going to go look at /post on the following sites:
mybuilder*
ratedpeople
electricalsafetyfirst

*I've used the former before to find a plasterer and it didn't go well, but that's because I was in a hurry so I grabbed the first guy I could find. Not the best way to go about finding a tradesperson!

So if anyone has any advice about these or other sites when it comes to finding a regular subcontractor, that would be great. I'm probably over-complicating things, but it doesn't hurt to ask for free advice.

Low voltage will need you normal testing and certification.

Data I doubt it, not being low voltage it wont need any sort of electrical integrity tests but it will still need to be installed correctly in respect to fire standards/escape routes I would have thought. I personally have never come across any data outfit issuing anything.

Loads of guys (1 girl) on here that will be able to do what you are asking.

It certainly does need testing and certificating to EN50173. This involves a multitude of tests to pass a link to the standards. If you wanted to do this on a proper commercial build you would also need to have the appropriate C&G courses against your name for a CSCS card to get on site, which would cover routing as well as all the technical aspects of the job . Our company and all others we work with will always test and provide full certificates, with Fluke still being the industry standard. We wouldn't work on a domestic install, and I doubt you will get anyone else with the right testing kit either from what you have described. Your average house sparky isn't going to sink £30k into testing kit they're going to use a few times a year and pay £1200 a year to have it calibrated.

You can hire a tester on a day / week basis but that won't be cheap either - I think by doing the job properly you will probably price yourself out of the job (depending on what "the job" actually is of course!)

It certainly does need testing and certificating to EN50173...If you wanted to do this on a proper commercial build you would also need to have the appropriate C&G courses against your name for a CSCS card to get on site...I think by doing the job properly you will probably price yourself out of the job (depending on what "the job" actually is of course!)
50173 appears to be about connection quality, about function rather than safety or legality, is that right? It's a good point of course, but I'm talking about the safe and legal stuff here. I'm good with the networking side - this is bolt on stuff with low bandwidth requirements and I know what I'm doing on that side.

I have a basic CSCS card, where I had to pass a multiple choice test which asked me things like how many arms a person should have, and which way is up. I didn't need any C&G courses (I have the card which basically allows me to go on site as long as I don't touch anything). But again, I thought the CSCS card was just about being safe on site, I didn't think it covered the work you're doing.

But to be honest that sounds like a conversation for a different topic. Personally, I won't be going near any construction sites, as at this point the certification I'd need would, as you point out, price me out of the job!

Yes 50173 is about function, it's about checking it is installed and tested to meet the criteria to run at a particular speed / service. You originally asked about a data cabling subcontractor, this is the standard they would be installing and testing to if they did it professionally, and providing certificates.

Re CSCS yes you have to do the muppet test, but to actually do a job on site you would need the appropriate qualifications as well as that - C&G3667 or similar in this case. I'm certain you won't be installing any of these on building sites, I'm merely pointing out the fact that these standards and qualifications exist and are usually expected to do the work.

No one's going to lock you up if you chuck it in yourself and don't test it though, or employ someone else to do the same. That's between you and the customer isn't it if they're happy with that. Best of luck.

All information is good information. I didn't know 50173 before yesterday - It's not relevant right now, but if things go to plan it might be very soon. Whenever I've done data, it's been tested in a variety of common sense ways, and signed off by a happy customer, but never tested to a standard or certified.

Thanks to you and @SparkyChick in another post, I've got a bit of reading to do...

Thank you! :)

Reply to Subcontractor for data cabling (Midlands) in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net