Discuss Success! Meter fitted. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Percyprod

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just like to thank everyone for their help and advice re by previous post, but contrary to some opinions, man from supplier came to fit meter this morning, and of course it is fitted and all working. He tested it thoroughly (checked polarity with a neon tester at isolator) and fitted the meter. Asked him if he wanted to see wiring certificate and reply was "No, not for a stable". I kid you not! Just as an aside, horses are still alive, but before I retired I was sometimes given a job to connect a rewire, usually after a cut-out change or a service alteration. Companies rules were 'as you are not part p registered you cannot test the installation, so no certificate, no connection'. So if I'd been given this job when I was working I wouldn't have connected it! It's a funny old world. That was before I knew it didn't come under part p, but no more on that please!
Forgot photo of meter etcIMG_20170930_171631780.jpg

He checked the polarity with a neon tester? Very professional, those things are only good for stirring your tea and stabbing holes in plasterboard walls...

We used them on dno, didn't prove it was live, test lamps for that, but approved for use to prove neutral, eg on pme.

When working we used these to prove neutral, not live, especially on pme supplies. Approved instrument.20171002_113807.jpg

Just like to thank everyone for their help and advice re by previous post, but contrary to some opinions, man from supplier came to fit meter this morning, and of course it is fitted and all working. He tested it thoroughly (checked polarity with a neon tester at isolator) and fitted the meter. Asked him if he wanted to see wiring certificate and reply was "No, not for a stable". I kid you not! Just as an aside, horses are still alive, but before I retired I was sometimes given a job to connect a rewire, usually after a cut-out change or a service alteration. Companies rules were 'as you are not part p registered you cannot test the installation, so no certificate, no connection'. So if I'd been given this job when I was working I wouldn't have connected it! It's a funny old world. That was before I knew it didn't come under part p, but no more on that please!
Forgot photo of meter etcView attachment 38614
Checked polarity with a Neon Tester, best thing for those things are in the rubbish bin.

The only real use I've found for those things is a quick check on a cable before breaking through the insulation with my probes for a final confirmation.

I use the screwdriver one quite a lot, just the right size for popping out cage nuts...

The only real use I've found for those things is a quick check on a cable before breaking through the insulation with my probes for a final confirmation.

I use the screwdriver one quite a lot, just the right size for popping out cage nuts...
What do you mean Strima "breaking through the insulation"?

Not the same thing. For a start there is no metal tip to touch. It is NOT used to prove dead. It also has a buzzer, and as you can see, a test unit. We used the Drummond test lamps as he did, to prove live or dead, which are proved with a tester before and after testing to make sure they work. To check polarity on pme otherwise you need to use temporary earth rod and a lead, which could be a distance from the cut out.

If I need to break into the circuit for any reason. For example you could have three circuits running parallel to each other and I need to alter one of them, I would isolate as normal, use to voltage pen to find the dead circuit then finally use my voltage tester to test for dead by going through the insulation.

Hopefully by that point when I get the cutters out I won't be testing the VDE rating...

I've never seen a meter fitter or DNO worker ask for a cert on any job. Domestic, commercial, whatever. And that includes times when a specific written request has been sent from them to have an available copy of the certificate on or before connection.

Sorry pete999, he is right as to using for proving dead, but he didn't mention using it for polarity check on a circuit you have proved live with test lamps.

If I need to break into the circuit for any reason. For example you could have three circuits running parallel to each other and I need to alter one of them, I would isolate as normal, use to voltage pen to find the dead circuit then finally use my voltage tester to test for dead by going through the insulation.

Hopefully by that point when I get the cutters out I won't be testing the VDE rating...
So rather that trace the cable visually you would rely on a volt stick, as for making a hole in the insulation, don't think I had better say what I think.

That's fine andy78, can only say what our rules were. Other dnos may be different. If I connected an uncertified installation to the meter and because it was faulty someone was hurt, who do you think would carry the can?

So rather that trace the cable visually you would rely on a volt stick, as for making a hole in the insulation, don't think I had better say what I think.
It's not always possible to fully trace a cable along its path. As for making holes in the insulation, if I'm cutting the cable it makes no odds, but I'd rather be cutting the dead one.

That's fine andy78, can only say what our rules were. Other dnos may be different. If I connected an uncertified installation to the meter and because it was faulty someone was hurt, who do you think would carry the can?

We have northern powergrid round here so they are the only one I have dealt with.

I think they have rules that certs should be provided, hence the written insistence I referred to. But what happens on site and on paper are different things.

The onus of any incident would surely be on whoever energised a consumer's system. I have never seen the DNO energise a system, only provide power for it to either a connection block or isolator.

Open cut out, use test lamps to prove supply is live (using proving unit to make sure test lamps are working) between live and neutral. As it is pme no earth to use to check live. You can then use test pen. If it lights on one terminal and not the other then that is the live terminal. Like it or not, that is one of the methods in the company's codes of practice. You can run a lead to a tempory earth rod, but the unatended end will be live when you test, albeit only for a short time.

Agreed andy, I worked for enwl, normally connections would be done by supplier, but if already metered, sometimes we would do it, for example, some one buys a house, rewires it and has the service position moved. Jointer or linesman would move supply point, but we would move and reconnect meter. I know, inefficient, but that was sometimes what happened. Like I say, I would have been in deep doodoo without certificate.

Reply to Success! Meter fitted. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net