Discuss Suggestions for some cheap emergency lighting for a loft please? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

electricans_son

I use my loft as a storage area, it is about 20 m long and fairly narrow, and I would like suggestions for some cheap emergency lighting for it please. I was thinking of a non-maintained light that I would connect immediately before the light switches, for the 5 off fluorescents in the loft. I realise that this would not give a lot of light but hopefully enough light to allow me to find my way to a couple of the push-switch lamps shown in the attached image. These should then give enough light to allow me to slowly get out.

There are duck boards along the length of the loft and it is partially boarded but moving about in the dark would be tricky, especially if I was behind the 2 m long TV aerial or the cold water storage tank, there are beams all over the place, and the hatch is approximately one third of the way along the length of the loft.

Attachments

• Suggestions for some cheap emergency lighting for a loft please? 41VYawBefmL._SY300_ - EletriciansForums.net
    41VYawBefmL._SY300_.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 37
I use my loft as a storage area, it is about 20 m long and fairly narrow, and I would like suggestions for some cheap emergency lighting for it please. I was thinking of a non-maintained light that I would connect immediately before the light switches, for the 5 off fluorescents in the loft. I realise that this would not give a lot of light but hopefully enough light to allow me to find my way to a couple of the push-switch lamps shown in the attached image. These should then give enough light to allow me to slowly get out.

There are duck boards along the length of the loft and it is partially boarded but moving about in the dark would be tricky, especially if I was behind the 2 m long TV aerial or the cold water storage tank, there are beams all over the place, and the hatch is approximately one third of the way along the length of the loft.

Ask yer Dad for some info

Why would you want em lighting in your loft....?
A power cut.

Ask yer Dad for some info

My "Dad" is not here to ask :(

something not round will be easier to fix to the rafters.
Emergency Light IP65 Maintained - Toolstation

Thanks there is a non-maintained one there too. I asked the question because nowhere could I find a description of what a emergency light contains, consequently does the Emergency Light contain a device that detects that there is no current and then switch the batteries on to light the bulb?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok you need a maintained em light fitting, suggest led type. They are a lot brighter and more efficient the tubes.
with maintained type you can switch the unit on and off just like any other fitting, but in the event of a power cut the unit will switch on automatically.

Ok you need a maintained em light fitting, suggest led type. They are a lot brighter and more efficient the tubes.
with maintained type you can switch the unit on and off just like any other fitting, but in the event of a power cut the unit will switch on automatically.

Thanks. I have a fluorescent adjacent to the hatch that will always be on while I am in the loft, so I assume that I could parallel the maintained Emergency Light fitting with that fluorescent?

Only if there is a permanent line supply to the fitting, otherwise you will need to rewire with a 3 core cable

basically, the em battery will be on trickle charge when mains power is on. if the mains power goes off, a magic thingy in the fitting connects the battery to the lamp, thus emitting light.

The last place I would go in the event of a power cut would be my loft!

Now that as just made me chuckle :grin:

basically, the em battery will be on trickle charge when mains power is on. if the mains power goes off, a magic thingy in the fitting connects the battery to the lamp, thus emitting light.

Ah, so as I indicated in my first post, I will need to connect the Emergency light across the mains supply to the light switches "for the 5 off fluorescents in the loft", so that then it will always be connected to the mains.

yep.and you should have a means of interrupting the mains supply to the em. e.g. a keyswitch, so as to test it without turnnig off the power to the lights.

Last edited:
but hopefully enough light to allow me to find my way to a couple of the push-switch lamps shown in the attached image. These should then give enough light to allow me to slowly get out.

Are these battery powered?

or just poke a couple of leads with croc clips through the roof to the closest solar panel.

Ah, so as I indicated in my first post, I will need to connect the Emergency light across the mains supply to the light switches "for the 5 off fluorescents in the loft", so that then it will always be connected to the mains.

Ah so Grasshopper......you are right....maintained fitting giving you more light than you existing fittings

Reply to Suggestions for some cheap emergency lighting for a loft please? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock