Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Sunny Explorer

Discussion in 'Solar PV Forum' started by Princesolar, Feb 16, 2012.

Discuss Sunny Explorer in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Princesolar

Princesolar EF Member

I am trying to connect by bluetooth to an SMA 4000TL inverter with sunny explorer via my laptop, the setting on the inverter are correct but laptop just can't find it. Any ideas please.

2. mdovey

mdovey Regular EF Member

Firstly you may need to wait until daylight before you can detect the inverter via bluetooth. It is certainly the case with the piggy back cards the bluetooth is only active whilst the inverter is active (i.e. daylight). I'm not sure about the newer inverters which bluetooth built in.

Secondly, what range is the bluetooth adapter in the laptop. Some adapters (particularly the built in ones) only have a short range, and so you need to be pretty much next to the inverter to detect it. Some of the USB adapters have a longer range (so you can see an inverter in the loft from downstairs for example)

3. Princesolar

Princesolar EF Member

I will try going closer to the inverter, I am using the built in bluetooth within the laptop. May be I should buy a USB adaptor.

Thanks for your help

4. danesol

danesol Regular EF Member

^^ as above - one of my laptops has to be really close to connect, although the Sunnybeam can go alot further.

Once in Sunny Explorer - there is an option I found for turning up the transmit power

5. mdovey

mdovey Regular EF Member

If you do, make sure you get a more powerful one that the built-in one, otherwise it will be no better. Bluetooth devices come in three classes according to power (and hence range):

Class 1 100mW (20dBm) 100 meters
    Class 2 2.5mW (4dBm) 10 meters
    Class 3 1mW (0dBm) 1 meter

(note that the range is under ideal circumstances so will be less if there are walls/ceilings in the way etc.).

Built in laptop bluetooths will typically be class 3 or 2 in order to maximise battery life (and some may allow you to adjust the power depending on whether you want performance or longer battery life).

If you are buying a bluetooth usb adapter for Sunny Explorer, try to get one advertised as class 1.

6. wstevew

wstevew Regular EF Member

7. mdovey

mdovey Regular EF Member

The default setting appears to be 16dBm which would make it (almost) class 1. However, it looks to me like you need the grid guard code to change this.

8. matt25

matt25 Guest

Could you tell me where this setting is please?

9. mdovey

mdovey Regular EF Member

I'll take a look in the morning when the inverter is awake

10. wstevew

wstevew Regular EF Member

You need to be logged in as Installer and go to the settings tab and click on communications.

It cannot be altered without a grid guard code.