Discuss Sunny Explorer in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am trying to connect by bluetooth to an SMA 4000TL inverter with sunny explorer via my laptop, the setting on the inverter are correct but laptop just can't find it. Any ideas please.

Firstly you may need to wait until daylight before you can detect the inverter via bluetooth. It is certainly the case with the piggy back cards the bluetooth is only active whilst the inverter is active (i.e. daylight). I'm not sure about the newer inverters which bluetooth built in.

Secondly, what range is the bluetooth adapter in the laptop. Some adapters (particularly the built in ones) only have a short range, and so you need to be pretty much next to the inverter to detect it. Some of the USB adapters have a longer range (so you can see an inverter in the loft from downstairs for example)

^^ as above - one of my laptops has to be really close to connect, although the Sunnybeam can go alot further.

Once in Sunny Explorer - there is an option I found for turning up the transmit power

I will try going closer to the inverter, I am using the built in bluetooth within the laptop. May be I should buy a USB adaptor.

If you do, make sure you get a more powerful one that the built-in one, otherwise it will be no better. Bluetooth devices come in three classes according to power (and hence range):

Class 1 100mW (20dBm) 100 meters
Class 2 2.5mW (4dBm) 10 meters
Class 3 1mW (0dBm) 1 meter

(note that the range is under ideal circumstances so will be less if there are walls/ceilings in the way etc.).

Built in laptop bluetooths will typically be class 3 or 2 in order to maximise battery life (and some may allow you to adjust the power depending on whether you want performance or longer battery life).

If you are buying a bluetooth usb adapter for Sunny Explorer, try to get one advertised as class 1.

Reply to Sunny Explorer in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net