Discuss Sup bonding code for property with no rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
What code would you give when doing EICR for a property that has no supplementary bonding in a bathroom, there is no RCD on any circuit but zs and insulation tests are good,

Is it acceptable to measure the resistance between the shower and pipework, if it's under 0.05 ohm's take it as bonded, incase the bonding had been done but covered up?

I Would and have C2 'd a room containing a bath or shower that has no suplimentary bonding and does not have rcd protection if there is an electric shower.

However I do like essex's take and would consider If it has no electric shower and no class 1 electrical fittings I think I would C3 it in future.

Bathroom has an electric shower, so hoping I can bond from CPC to pipe inside the shower, and that the shower pipe is accessible under bath and use that to bond hot and cold bath taps then take across to sink, also bond from shower isolator pull cord to light pull cord which will intern bond light fitting,

maybe easier to install an RCD

Bathroom has an electric shower, so hoping I can bond from CPC to pipe inside the shower, and that the shower pipe is accessible under bath and use that to bond hot and cold bath taps then take across to sink, also bond from shower isolator pull cord to light pull cord which will intern bond light fitting,

maybe easier to install an RCD

You may want to think again. If the shower is plastic then what are you hoping to gain from cross-bonding the CPC to the pipe work?

Are the lights, pull cords, isolator also metallic? If not again, what do you hope to gain from cross-bonding to these?

I see what you mean as no exposed conductive parts on shower or pull cords

my idea was to avoid running a cable from the floor to ceiling and that cross bonding the CPC's in pull cords would help lower the resistance between them, now thinking code 3 would be adiquet

Last edited:
You may want to think again. If the shower is plastic then what are you hoping to gain from cross-bonding the CPC to the pipe work?

Are the lights, pull cords, isolator also metallic? If not again, what do you hope to gain from cross-bonding to these?
Oh yes! let's all go back to the good old 15th Edition.:eek:
If he wants to bond the rads, I'm sure I still have the odd one of those special earth bond clips for 'em.:cool:

What code would you give when doing EICR for a property that has no supplementary bonding in a bathroom, there is no RCD on any circuit but zs and insulation tests are good,

Is it acceptable to measure the resistance between the shower and pipework, if it's under 0.05 ohm's take it as bonded, incase the bonding had been done but covered up?

Even if the pipework is all plastic, all circuits serving the location are required to have supplementary bonding between them , whether of class 1 or class 11 construction if no rcd is present to the circuits serving the location.
See gn7 and gn8 for examples of such a set up

Even if the pipework is all plastic, all circuits serving the location are required to have supplementary bonding between them , whether of class 1 or class 11 construction if no rcd is present to the circuits serving the location.

701.415.2 clearly states only ‘extreneous-conductive parts’ and ‘metallic pipes’ are to be supplymentary bonded.

From an interest point of view Ian do you have a Regulation number to clarify this statement? I don't have any GNs.

If rcd protection is not present then you still need to ensure that any touch voltages between circuits is at a minimum under fault conditions by supplementary bonding the circuits in the location

If rcd protection is not present then you still need to ensure that any touch voltages between circuits is at a minimum under fault conditions by supplementary bonding the circuits in the location

What touch voltages would you expect between a metallic light and a plastic pipe?

What touch voltages would you expect between a metallic light and a plastic pipe?
Why do you think we need to ensure that everything is at the same potential in the location regardless of metallic pipes or class 1 or 11 equipment installed without an rcd?
Shouldn’t need spelling out

Reply to Sup bonding code for property with no rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net