Discuss Super Electrician, Dear Sirs Please kindly help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Super Electrician

Dear Sirs, i am a female and in my bathroom there are Luxna 10w LED downlights. There were installed by builders who refurbished my flat last year. There 7 luxna lights in the bathroom and all of them one by one went off ( no longer working) only 1 left working. So i think very soon i am going to start taking my showers in complete darkness. I have 2 questions:
1) These luxna lights seem very expensive, is there any alternative substitute i can buy? if so, which ones?
2) Can anyone help me to explain how do i change these luxna light?

I am begging someone to help me please?

(these luxna lights dont have any light bulbs which i can buy from supermarket for £1.00 and replace them by screwing them with my fingers)

Dear Sirs, i am a female and in my bathroom there are Luxna 10w LED downlights. There were installed by builders who refurbished my flat last year.

1) These luxna lights seem very expensive, is there any alternative substitute i can buy? if so, which ones?

2) Can anyone help me to explain how do i change these luxna light?

I am begging someone to help me please?

(these luxna lights dont have any light bulbs which i can buy from supermarket for £1.00 and replace them by screwing them with my fingers)

Ask the builder back should be first port of call, particularly if he supplied the fittings.

Those lights are complete with the LED integral to the unit and therefore not replaceable lamps. You need to replace complete fittings.

Thank you for your response. The builders were employed by the previous owner, so not easy to trace.

1) Can i buy an alternative lights instead of luxna? as luxna lights are very expensive.

2) Would you be able to help to explain how do i change these luxna lights, please?

Ask the builder back should be first port of call, particularly if he supplied the fittings.

Those lights are complete with the LED integral to the unit and therefore not replaceable lamps. You need to replace complete fittings.

You can buy any light fitting you want but you are not competent to replace the lights. Contact a local Electrician who will be able to safely replace the lights for you.

According to their website they have a 5 year guarantee, I would contact the manufacturer if they have only lasted a year.

EDIT: I also find It quite amusing that you think it relevant to state you are FEMALE? equality and all that.......

Last edited:
Thank you for your message. I already contacted the manufacturer, but they advised me to contact the builders who bought the lights from them and obtain the receipts from the builders etc. But the lights were installed by the builders who were employed by previous owner so not easy to trace.

1) which any other lights can i buy? would you be able to give me a link to a specific light?

2) i watched a video on youtube how to replace LED light, where the guy shows and says: just take out the whole " cylinder" , detach the wire of old one and reconnect the wire of new one. Can i follow him and do the same?

You can buy any light fitting you want but you are not competent to replace the lights. Contact a local Electrician who will be able to safely replace the lights for you.

According to their website they have a 5 year guarantee, I would contact the manufacturer if they have only lasted a year.

EDIT: I also find It quite amusing that you think it relevant to state you are FEMALE? equality and all that.......

Dear Anderson , thank you for your reply, which other cheap one can i buy? could you pls give me a link? i read instructions of luxna which is available for everyone on their website, and tge wire of the cylinder has 3 round things at the end, so which other cheap ones has the same three round things at the end of the cylinder wire?

Contact the Suppliers to see if they are willing to help, are the still under warranty? If you don't get any help from them, and you wish to replace the fittings with a different type, then contact an Electrician and ask him to supply new fittings, he should at the least be able to show you several replacement types.
Advising someone who is a DIYer on how to change these lights is not really a good idea, could cause injury if done in correctly, especially as it's in a Bathroom, hope this helps and you get things sorted.
From your description, it may not be a failure of the fittings, it possibly could be a loose connection, to explain my reasoning, did the lights all fail at the same time (apart from one), or has the failures been over a period of time?

Last edited:
Thank you for your message. I already contacted the manufacturer, but they advised me to contact the builders who bought the lights from them and obtain the receipts from the builders etc. But the lights were installed by the builders who were employed by previous owner so not easy to trace.

1) which any other lights can i buy? would you be able to give me a link to a specific light?

2) i watched a video on youtube how to replace LED light, where the guy shows and says: just take out the whole " cylinder" , detach the wire of old one and reconnect the wire of new one. Can i follow him and do the same?
Not a good move.

A trifle harsh SC, but probably along the right track!

Regardless, the best advice is to employ the services of a competent local electrician. The basic questions clearly indicate a lack of the fundamental knowledge required to change the lights safely.

Without proof of purchase, you won't find any manufacturer honouring a warranty, especially if they've been experiencing a faulty batch, aka JCC.

There's some quite cheap (relatively) integral down lights out there now.

PS bet these faulty ones have not been fitted with the optional insulation cover. :)

You speak of the previous owner suggesting you are the new owner. If so you MUST have received an Electrical Installation Certificate from the previous owner which would have been asked for when enquiries were raised. As you may know work in a bathroom is a special location withing regulations terms and work must be accompanied by a certificate (EIC) On there you will find the installer and you can contact them. Having said that it is unusual bad luck to have seven of eight fail, please do not fall into the temptation of an extension lead and light perched on the edge of the bath or some such thing. Normally there will be a batch number and date on the fittings. Also Trading Standards Law is quite explicit regards the fact that you do not require a receipt as proof of purchase, thought I would mention that by the by. And @SparkyChick this post is addressed to us men so please...restrain yourself:cool:

Of course the other problem is the hole size for different fittings often differs being either smaller of larger there is no standard. It is possible to make the hole larger with skill...but not smaller without some tricky fiddling around. I guess the insulation above the ceiling is the culprit for premature failure and probably installed without taking into account the manufacturers instructions.

Also Trading Standards Law is quite explicit regards the fact that you do not require a receipt as proof of purchase, thought I would mention tha
the op did not buy them they have came with the property.
The lady inqestion is asking what to do if they have a invoice stating the say lights had a warrantee will only go to the person ordered the work in the beginning

Reply to Super Electrician, Dear Sirs Please kindly help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock