Discuss suppliers fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tbs1983

had a call a couple of hours ago, told diy'er had lost all electric to house after attempting to re connect cooker. anyway got there, did the usual checks and turns out main suppliers 60A fuse had blown, due to a combination of nail through cable after fitting new skirting board, and incorrect fusewire in cooker fuse in db (piece of 2.5 copper!!!).

Now not wanting to leave them in the doggy doo without electric I removed the fuse seal, and replaced the fuse with a replacement i happend to have on the van, leaving the cooker fuse out until i can return tomorrow evening to repair.

Clearly what ive done by removing fuse etc is wrong, but my reputation wouldnt be helped much by just walking away and saying 'sorry cant touch supply fuse'

this scenario must come up all the time, what have / would you guys have done ?

were SP here too llandrillo (im in dolgellau not 2 far from u), I happen to know a meter fitter for them so might ask him for some!!!

When will the panic about suppliers fuse pulling end!!! So tedious and full of myth and B.S.

Kill it dead guys I hear the Lock Ness monster been spotted in Luton.

Regards

When will the panic about suppliers fuse pulling end!!! So tedious and full of myth and B.S.

Kill it dead guys I hear the Lock Ness monster been spotted in Luton.

Regards

That is a myth, if the Loch Ness monster did actually want to emigrate, he certainly woudn't go to Looton. :rockon2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about it, I've got a box of house service fuses and seals on the van. Nobody gives a monkey any more if the seals are broken or not.

Doesn't the DNO have an emergency telephone number that your customer should of called, it's not up to you to replace their fuse shame on you, now the DIY er has seen you do it he'll no doubt feel confidant to do the same in the future (he's likely to be the person who put the 2.5mm in as fuse wire) what an example to set him and all the younger members on here, and as for "Now not wanting to leave them in the doggy doo without electric" well you should of done just that and only repaired the faults he'd created on the installation. Whatever would you do in a power cut, go down to the power station and turn the turbine by hand lol

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't the DNO have an emergency telephone number that your customer should of called, it's not up to you to replace their fuse shame on you, now the DIY er has seen you do it he'll no doubt feel confidant to do the same in the future (he's likely to be the person who put the 2.5mm in as fuse wire) what an example to set him and all the younger members on here, and as for "Now not wanting to leave them in the doggy doo without electric" well you should of done just that and only repaired the faults he'd created on the installation. Whatever would you do in a power cut, go down to the power station and turn the turbine by hand lol

i never used to think twice about doing it until I went on an authorisation course with Scottish Power to allow to to remove unmetered fuses (erg39) which I require as part of my dayjob in street lighting. some of the pictures / examples they showed us on the course really put me off!!! there are that many incompetent 'electricians' out there these days im not surprised they seal their fuses and are very protective over us removing them. that said in todays scenario I diagnosed the fault, was happy with what I was doing, and not wanting to let them down and damage my reputation, proceeded to change fuse.

Just want to clarify that I don't condone just anyone doing it, but round my way its become common practice in the last 20 years. As long as you know what you're doing and do it safely, there should be no problem.

agree with you in principle KAS1, but I did what i thought was best to get them back up and running after they called ME to sort it out. and your probably right that it was him who put the 2.5 in the fuse, not that he would admit it.

agree with you in principle KAS1, but I did what i thought was best to get them back up and running after they called ME to sort it out. and your probably right that it was him who put the 2.5 in the fuse, not that he would admit it.

Seems like your typical DIY muppet. Totally f***s things up but fails to have the balls to admit it! Still, I suppose that doesn't do much for the ego!

I think a phone call to the DNO would have resulted in them giving you permission to pull the fuse and replace it. I've done this myself without any problems and it's logged that I've been given permission. It's become common practice for sparks to just pull in themselves due to the old can't be bothered attitude. So to sum up leave the main fuse alone, just tell the customer it's not for you to remove it and get permission.

Reply to suppliers fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net