Discuss Supply cable to property, installation depth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been doing some work at a domestic property, that's had some building renovations done. Whilst the small frontage to the property was resurfaced, the electricity service cable was uncovered. It runs for approximately 2 metres from the road, at about 75mm below the surface, then into the brickwork of the property, & then into the meter cabinet.

No tape or cable tiles. I contacted the DNO (SSE), who said there's no set depth for such situations, if the customer wanted it installed at a greater depth, there would be a charge. They would not send out an engineer to inspect, unless the cable has been damaged.

Haven't a pic to show, but doesn't seem right to me. Eventually, the frontage will be dressed with a lose surface, such as gravel.

I've seen some suggested trench depths of 450-530mm, but nothing where the cable approaches a property, and HSE guidance suggests there's no set depth. Cable is a pvc concentric type. I was a bit concerned, if someone at a later date, did some digging without knowing its there.

Thoughts? As the DNO aren't going to do anything, I was going to relay cable in soft sand & cover with some marked plastic cable tiles or something.

Is this out of curiosity because it is outside the scope of your works and hence not your problem.
I agree Westy, but with the provso that Midwest was/is only expressing his concerns, I believe that he was quite right in bringing this to the attention of the DNO and importantly the homeowner, I would do the same, afterallif you see something that, to your professional experience doesn't look right, we have a duty of care to voice our opinions, however right or wrong these thoughts may be, I would be happy to make myself look a clown, if I thought something was wrong, and later proved to be incorrect.

Thanks for that westward. I also have SSE's pdf on the subject, which suggests a min depth of 450mm, which was why I was a bit surprised by the telephone response by SSE. Perhaps I should email them, to get a more detailed response.

Thanks for that westward. I also have SSE's pdf on the subject, which suggests a min depth of 450mm, which was why I was a bit surprised by the telephone response by SSE. Perhaps I should email them, to get a more detailed response.
Agree Midwest, far to many of these faceless conglomerates find it difficult / hard to respond to a legitimate question, send an email and let the Forum know the outcome, more people should question big business, it's our right and duty to do so, bring on the revolution.

I would do quoting the relevant regulations. Has your son lived there long because it is possible the cable was deeper but other groundworks have bought it closer to the surface.

I would do quoting the relevant regulations. Has your son lived there long because it is possible the cable was deeper but other groundworks have bought it closer to the surface.

Funnily enough that's what SSE said! The properties on this estate, are about 30 years old, and not the best examples of modern construction. Don't think the cable has been subject to movement, although he's had new surface water draining installed. But that was just placed under this cable, as it emerged from the highway into his property.

Edit, the BT cable runs a similar route.

Think I'll send an email, always gets a more detailed reply. Can't see its the customers cost, as it's been that way since its conception.

My thoughts as well. I suspect other similar properties have the same install. Frightening isn't it.

What gets my goat, is SSE expect us (bank of Mum & Dad) to pay for it to be sorted.

I'll try & post some pics.

Usually 600mm is the accepted depth for modern service cable, but many estates have the cables installed by contractors. Need I say more.

There are thousands of properties,with this as an issue,with gas,too,but the DNO will be working on the principle that it has been fine for 30 years,so...

There are rules,and then there is what happens;)

I have seen,on more than one occasion,properties where they had originally supplied a gas feed,for the sole purpose of supplying a gas-poker,to light the coal fire - and nothing else.

This then gets coupled to various additional gas appliances,with only a single taper tap....and missing the required and expensive part...the meter:)

I know of loads of properties,where there is a metered water supply,for everything,except on outside tap,or downstairs loo,which comes from whoknowswhere :cool:

The point of all this long-windedness,is that the utilities know there are a host of anomalies out there,and chasing/solving them,would just be a massive cost...

I burst a gas service pipe at my Son's house with an excavator, just under the turf, first strike of digging a trench for a new water service.

Transco came to fix it and confirmed there's no minimum depth for Gas services with Domestic properties, but they will repair free of charge if hit with a spade or similar.
This excludes being hit by an excavator even if operated by the Gas user.

We thought we'd hid the excavator but they recognised the damage as not being done by a spade.
Still only cost about £80 about 15 years ago.

Ground workers have covered up the cable with crushed stone now, so I had to dig a bit up to show the cable;

IMG_2217 (2).JPG IMG_2219 (2).JPG IMG_2220 (2).JPG IMG_2221.JPG

At least they wrapped some tape round it o_O

Had this back in the early 90's at my brothers house found the incoming main cable about half a spade deep across the garden while digging the footings for an extension he was getting built. The DNO (Manweb) engineer that came out to look at moving the service head didn't seem concerned or bothered by it and said they would not put the cable deeper came to an agreement that we would cut a trench under the cable to allow it to go deeper and the Manweb guys would drop it into the trench when they moved the service head and extended the cable to the new mains position.
Given that the house was built sometime in the thirties I'm surprised the cable survived without being struck for so long

Sent an automated email query to the DNO. Reply came back on Monday to have it inspected, ring this number. Rang the number (their emergency number), told it wasn't an emergency, we'll put you threw to another department, who told me it would cost for them to come and look at it!

I said we want to be told if its safe or not, so put back to emergency dept. Engineer was sent out and inspected, said it was safe, just cover it with some pipe/tape and a layer of concrete. He said the whole estate is like it.

Reply to Supply cable to property, installation depth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net