Discuss Supply conductor size for 8 bedroom Victorian house in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've recently visited a large 8 bedroom Victorian house. It has a three phase supply. One of the phases feeds the main house, its wired through a 100 amp main switch/ isolator. The Suppliers Side is 25mm tails but the customers side to the main house consumer unit appears to be 16mm. The run is around 20 metres or so and it looked like FP200 CABLE. Surely this should be 25mm going to the main house consumer unit?

If its MICC then leave it. It will last longer than the house.

Hi,why not test it? Then you may be able to leave in,what will invariably be,the best choice of cable :)

Hi,why not test it? Then you may be able to leave in,what will invariably be,the best choice of cable :)

I'm going to test the whole installation but the consumer unit needs up dated and the customer would like additional sockets and lights etc. They said they wanted a rewire but testing the installation is probably the best option. I have no experience with MICC so now's the time to get it!!

View attachment IMAG0038.jpg

View attachment IMAG0037.jpg

View attachment IMAG0036.jpg

View attachment IMAG0035.jpg

View attachment IMAG0034.jpg

View attachment IMAG0033.jpg

Those protective devices are BS3871 type 3 for the orange ones and type 4 for the brown ones. The type 4 have never been recognised by BS7671 so you need to compare readings with manufacturers data, Federal Electric.
Take care working on them as they have a lot of exposed live parts. I see you are an apprentice so have you any testing experience.

Your probably right, I've not dealt with either. I was surprised to see it, I thought it was used for industrial installations.
Regardless of the cable type, would you not agree that it should be 25mm conductors for the L and N?

What do you mean regardless of cable type? Different types of cable have different current ratings.
MICC has a higher current rating than most plastic insulated cables for the same size conductors, 16mm is probably suitable for 100A, especially if you actually do the calculations rather than just using the tabulated values Uncorrected.

MICC is used in houses as I had it in my flat renovation, had to remove it as the CU was being located elsewhere and the if it was jointed then the run would have been longer then replacing the cable.

I loved PYRO back in the day, nothing more sexier then stripping 6 core Pyro in a hot sweaty basement with 6ft tails just in your boiler suit, sorry digressing a bit........... but the older members will remember....

Reply to Supply conductor size for 8 bedroom Victorian house in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock